Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"appetite and migraine"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

sailing muffin Click to EMail sailing muffinClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-09-04, 10:37 AM (CMT)
"appetite and migraine"
Hi All,

i have noticed that before I get a big migraine, sometimes before the aura, i get extremely hungry. I am not sure why. Does anyone else experience this?

Pain free days,
sailing muffin

Table of contents

RE: appetite and migraine, petermigr, Nov-09-04, (1)
RE: appetite and migraine, lesherb1, Nov-09-04, (2)
RE: appetite and migraine, sumbum, Nov-09-04, (3)
migraine, hunger etc, annec, Nov-10-04, (4)
RE: appetite and migraine, antonella, Nov-10-04, (5)
RE: appetite and migraine, Jimboha, Nov-10-04, (6)
RE: appetite and migraine, mom03, Nov-10-04, (7)
RE: appetite and migraine, Jimboha, Nov-11-04, (9)
RE: appetite and migraine, genxgirl, Nov-11-04, (8)
RE: appetite and migraine, chicagomigraine, Nov-11-04, (10)
RE: appetite and migraine, Norma, Nov-12-04, (11)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

petermigr Click to EMail petermigrClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-09-04, 11:13 AM (CMT)
1. "RE: appetite and migraine"
This is a very common symptom, another one is yawning.

Both are also the most well known symptoms for low blood sugar what I think is the most important migraine trigger, especially when you are relaxing.

Best regards
Peter

lesherb1 Click to EMail lesherb1Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-09-04, 11:13 AM (CMT)
2. "RE: appetite and migraine"
I get extremely hungry before, during, and after anything! Seriously, it might be a drop in blood sugar that causes it.

Łeslie

sumbum Click to EMail sumbumClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-09-04, 06:50 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: appetite and migraine"
I agree.
I often get very hungry during a bad one.

annec Click to EMail annecClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-10-04, 03:08 AM (CMT)
4. "migraine, hunger etc"
LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-04 AT 03:09 AM (CMT)

In the early days I used to crave chocolate before an attack...I mean really crave....I sometimes had to stop myself from snatching it from strangers I had to have chocolate so bad.

antonella Click to EMail antonellaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-10-04, 03:47 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: appetite and migraine"
My appetite is null before and during a migraine. I cannot think of food, I feel so bad and nauseated.
My cousin, instead, gets hungry and craves for chocolate and sweeties in general before an attacks.

Antonella

Jimboha Click to EMail JimbohaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-10-04, 05:02 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: appetite and migraine"
I hadn't noticed an appetite increase before mig (prodrome). I have atypical migraines and don't usually experience aura.

But about half the time I get a sudden burst of energy and feeling of well-being, just before the world collapses. Before I figured that out, I would happily start doing things, then would think that the migraine was triggered by becoming over-tired.

(Some of you mothers may know of this type of thing. My understanding from my wife's experience is that just before going into labor, the expectant mother often has a burst of energy. I recall my wife being counselled to NOT use that energy to clean the house.)

I now blieve that the mig was actually already triggered and my activity had little to do with triggering it, though it may have made it more severe.

I do not recall this burst of energy being directed towards the consumption of food.

Jim near Boise

mom03 Click to EMail mom03Click to check IP address of the poster Nov-10-04, 05:15 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: appetite and migraine"
I'm always hungry no matter what. My big change is I get mean. So mean I can't stand myself. As a child my mom could tell before I would get a M because I got the worlds worst meanest attitude.

Jimboha Click to EMail JimbohaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-11-04, 03:56 PM (CMT)
9. "RE: appetite and migraine"
Most definitely - almost irrationally mean/angry/intolerant of anything.

Can we trade? I would rather become hungry and start eating things! Of course, I also don't get nauseous.

Jim near Boise

genxgirl Click to EMail genxgirlClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-11-04, 05:21 AM (CMT)
8. "RE: appetite and migraine"
I just posted about this!

I get weird cravings right before my pain jumps a level. usually it is for coffee or something sweet, but yesterday it was for a disgusting bologna sandwich.

I decided it has to be some sort of aura because I can't control it for the life of me.

chicagomigraine Click to EMail chicagomigraineClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-11-04, 09:45 PM (CMT)
10. "RE: appetite and migraine"
I've noticed that when I ignore or fight the urge for specific food (chocolate, salty snacks, nuts, salami, etc.) it eventually is easier over time, although it's always there (the craving). Sometimes it's so bad, I have excruciating pain in my temples.

I think I've treated the the migraines (cravings) with food, before the time I understood I was having migraines (many years).

matt

Norma Click to EMail NormaClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-12-04, 09:02 AM (CMT)
11. "RE: appetite and migraine"
A drop in blood sugar can cause a desparate feeling of hunger, and/or irresistable craving for simple carbohydrate. When your blood sugar is low, your brain thinks it is going to die if you don't get it up immediately.

Your body's response to the low blood sugar "emergency" can also trigger migraine pain.

Stable blood sugar levels are a good basic measure to help decrease frequency of migraine attacks. Wide swings in any of the body's hormones--like insulin, estrogen, epinephrine, or dopamine, can trigger severe migraine attacks in those who have the disease.

Norma

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.