Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Fake Migraineurs"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Brooke Click to EMail BrookeClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 01:16 PM (CMT)
"Fake Migraineurs"
AHHHH!!! Im about to scream! I am sitting at my

desk at work and I can hear the lady down the

hall talking about the migraines she gets! She

had a "migraine" at work about a week ago....she

took one aleve and sat in the break room for TEN

minutes and then said she was ok. It took MAJOR

strength not to say to her, "People like You are

the reason real migraineurs don't get the

respect we DESERVE!" What she had was a headache

not a migraine! Migraines don't go away in 10

minutes, and especially not from taking ONE

ALEVE! We all wish it were that easY! Now she's

talking about migraines, as if she knows what

it's all about! I sit here with my mouth shut,

trying hard to hold back fierce remarks......

this person exaggerates on EVERYTHING! any sick-

ness that anyone has she's had it TEN TIMES WORSE..

(her words). So when I started to work here and

I let the boss know how serious my migraines are

she informed me that she too has migraines. Yeah

right! I wish my migraines were as simple as the

headaches she calls migraines! I just hate that

people say that they're having migraines when

they aren't! This is a disease that no one

should won't to claim! Headaches are gifts from

Heaven when compared to a MIGRAINE!

I just had to VENT!

Table of contents

RE: Fake Migraineurs, lesherb1, Nov-24-04, (1)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, SassySis, Nov-24-04, (2)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, mjacob, Nov-24-04, (3)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, charmed quark, Nov-24-04, (4)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, genxgirl, Nov-24-04, (5)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, Brooke, Nov-24-04, (6)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, SassySis, Nov-24-04, (7)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, jooles, Nov-24-04, (8)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, petermigr, Nov-24-04, (9)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, jooles, Nov-24-04, (10)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, minmaxman, Nov-24-04, (11)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, andee4m, Nov-25-04, (12)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, petermigr, Nov-25-04, (13)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, Toby, Nov-25-04, (14)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, petermigr, Nov-25-04, (15)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, Toby, Nov-25-04, (16)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, wyllbee, Nov-26-04, (17)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, SassySis, Nov-26-04, (18)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, thetsarisa, Nov-26-04, (19)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, magicmom, Nov-26-04, (20)
RE: Fake Migraineurs, honeyb, Nov-28-04, (21)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

lesherb1 Click to EMail lesherb1Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 01:26 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
Unfortunately, migraine is often the term folks use to exagerate head pain. It's almost like saying you have appendicitis when your stomach hurts.

When I mention my situation, I say I have chronic migraine disease. Too often folks say they have a migraine instead of headache. I say I have migraine disease.

Łeslie

SassySis Click to EMail SassySisClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 01:30 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-04 AT 01:31 PM (CMT)

Makes me want to vent too!!! Grrrrr!!! I probably would have gone and asked her if she had thrown up yet??? Or asked if I could dim the lights for her.....

I just can't leave a situatin like that alone. I had a guy one time tell me he had a migraine, but yet he was bouncing a golf ball on our counter. I just looked at him and said if he had a full blown migraine he wouldn't be making that much noise!!! He just looked at me.

I think we will always have those who "fake" or exaggerate the pain and truth. But if they haven't ever, ever had a migraine in their life, they may not actually know that they don't have migraines. They may truly think that what they are experiencing is a migraine--which it isn't.

But I would ask her the next time how often she gets them and if she throws up with them. Ask her if she gets "classic" or "common" migraines. ANd what doctor she goes to.

Bet she hasn't even talked to a doctor about the pain if she is just taking Aleve for it! Wish all our migs were as simple as hers to do away with! 10 minutes---gesh!!!!

mjacob Click to EMail mjacobClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 01:47 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
I've mentioned this before but there are new people her now.

My husband worked w/ several men recently that ALWAYS had migraines instead of headaches. He would get angry because they could not understand his need to check on or help me when I was home w/ a migraine. They thought I was a whiner because I see a dr for them.

I do have to say, too, that the pain level I go to work w/ now would have put me down 7 or 8 years ago. Like has been said on here, it can always get worse and my head has proven that time and again.

I have no good advice but I can commiserate.

M

charmed quark Click to EMail charmed quarkClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 02:05 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
To be fair, you can probably have very mild migraines that go away quickly and/or respond to common over-the-counter drugs.

But it's like comparing a hang nail to having the skin ripped off your hand. It's all a matter of degree. Most of us are at the extreme end of the sprectrum.

-Pete

genxgirl Click to EMail genxgirlClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 02:25 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
I with you...

and pete is right that there are people who get true migs who can get rid of them with aleve or advil, that is how mine started...

but in general, people who go around telling everyone they have a migraine and then go out for drinks after work damage our "rep".

ugh

Brooke Click to EMail BrookeClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 02:36 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
She doesn't go to the doctor for them or

anything. She's never been diagnosed with M's.

She just goes around thinking she knows what it's

like. She says that the difference in our

migraines is she just can make herself get up &

go...she's not a "weak" person-her words. But I

let her know that when I have one I can't get

up and keep going because of not only the pain but

the auras!!! I can't talk (correctly), see, hear,

or think. PLus I'm totally numb throughout one

side of my body-a person can't just keep going

like that, you've got to get a bed. Ya know? It

would be dangerous to just keep going even if

you could. I realize that their are some lucky

ones that OTC drugs will knock out but she

doesn't ever act like light bothers her and she

runs around with her LOUD voice (she yells with

everything she says) telling everyone she's

got a migraine. If you have a migraine you would

not run around still trying to talk to people,

you'd just go and get quiet some where. But

I guess she just likes attention-but having a

migraine is not a good way to get attention.

SassySis Click to EMail SassySisClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 03:14 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
If you watch peoples actions and what they do--you can pretty much tell if it's a headache or a migraine.

I'd have her tell me on a scale of 1 to 10 where her pain was at. I can't even handle someone tapping their fingers on the counter.

With a full blown mig it would be unbearable. I LOOK like I am in pain with a full blown mig. Most people know before I do that it is getting way too bad. I

know there are different degrees of migraines -- but there is a huge difference between headaches and migraines.

Only the people who have suffered the unbearable kind know what a migraine is really like.

jooles Click to EMail joolesClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 04:19 PM (CMT)
8. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
Oooohhhh, I feel for you. I have been there and I totally understand your vent. I think it is just some people's personality type. They have to be center of attention, have to be the worst off, have to have the best story to tell! It damages TRUE MIGRAINERS reputation which is the most annoying part.
Jooles

petermigr Click to EMail petermigrClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 04:56 PM (CMT)
9. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
>Only the people who have suffered
>the unbearable kind know what
>a migraine is really like.
>

Another question is:
Do real migraineurs sometimes fake migraines (as they know how it would look like)?

Best regards
Peter

jooles Click to EMail joolesClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 05:30 PM (CMT)
10. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
I could never fake the grey sweaty skin, the sunken in and vacant eyes. The LOOK OF DEATH!!!

minmaxman Click to EMail minmaxmanClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-24-04, 05:47 PM (CMT)
11. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
I have suffered "Migraines" for over 20 years now. Many take me to the hospital to the point that the Dr.s and nurses and I are on first name basis. I woke up this morning with a screaming migraine with the normal for me nausa and can't stand sound or light but I always start my migriane day the same way. I take 6 over the counter Orudis(equals 75 mgs that nuro used to give me)and can take up to 2 doses 1 hour apart, if that don't work, hospital here I come. Today I took 1 dose and it cut it in half, took 2nd dose and it was gone. Just trying to say that some true migraineurs can use over the counter meds. I also know some people that have migraines(fake as it is said) that jump, run, scream and have a good old time.Those people will never understand so don't let it get to you, it will make you crazy and give YOU a MIGRAINE.

andee4m Click to EMail andee4mClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-25-04, 00:17 AM (CMT)
12. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
peter,

I could not say whether true migraneurs would fake a migraine - perhaps you should ask some face to face.

I would not, and I'm sure most if not all of the people posting here, would not want to pretend to go to such a bleak, dark and horrible place.

we end up there often enough

petermigr Click to EMail petermigrClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-25-04, 07:43 AM (CMT)
13. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
>peter,
>
>I could not say whether true
>migraneurs would fake a migraine
>- perhaps you should ask
>some face to face.
>
>I would not, and I'm sure
>most if not all of
>the people posting here, would
>not want to pretend to
>go to such a bleak,
>dark and horrible place.
>
>we end up there often enough
>

Well, I actually did.
Wenn I was 18 I had to go to military. And I
really really hated this. So I was waiting for my
migraine. But it did not come. Then I thought
refusing of eating would be a good idea, so I took only 500 Kcal / day or so.
But my silly migraine did not come.
In the end I had to fake some. And they
believed me, as the rest of my health was obviously not optimal too (eg my blood pressure was extremely low).

So I actually did, what a lot of husbands
believe their wifes are doing sometimes.

Best regards
Peter

Toby Click to EMail TobyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-25-04, 08:02 AM (CMT)
14. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
I often think people at work believe I'm faking it. However, we earn our paid sick leave as we go; and at a very low rate, eight hours per month.

So, I can't afford to fake it. I usually run out of sick leave and end up burning annual leave when I'm sick. That means no vacation for me.

Peter, why am I not surprised?

petermigr Click to EMail petermigrClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-25-04, 10:59 AM (CMT)
15. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
>Peter, why am I not surprised?

Don't know. May be you think, Peter is a clever guy who even would fake migraines if it does make sense.

Let's assume you go to your bank and there are some gangsters who take you hostage. Would you try to fake a migraine? I would.

And this was exactly the situation when I was 18. The military took me hostage. They didn't ask me, they just did.

Best regards
Peter

Toby Click to EMail TobyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-25-04, 01:17 PM (CMT)
16. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
>Let's assume you go to your
>bank and there are some
>gangsters who take you hostage.
>Would you try to fake
>a migraine? I would.

Perhaps, if it looked like we would all be executed and I could gain some tactical advantage. It would, of course, be a last resort only.

I don't have a concealed pistol permit for nothing, my friend. I see we're very different people. That's o.k.

I don't come here to talk bravado, just migraines, so we'll just let it go at that.

wyllbee Click to EMail wyllbeeClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-26-04, 09:40 AM (CMT)
17. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
Back to original vent, and the lady faking her h/a into a migraine, and asking her if she has thrown up yet, not every migraineur throws up with their migraines. I have been dx'd with classic migraines and take a gazillion drugs between the preventatives, abortives and rescue meds.
However, I rarely get nauseous with my M's and have thrown up about twice in 20 years. I don't know why, but that's the way it is. Blinding head pain. Knife stabbing thru the eye(s).Gut stops working. Words are confused, can't see. All that, but no nausea, not really.

As for Peter and faking it for military. My son is in Marines, and, I gotta tell ya, you would never have made it through boot camp, sir. You would have been culled out. So your fears of being forced into service would have come to naught. You needn't have faked it.

Vai

SassySis Click to EMail SassySisClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-26-04, 10:36 AM (CMT)
18. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
That's true--I don't throw up every time with my migraines either. But asking a question like that may help someone who is "faking it" to stop and think that migraines are a serious disease. That there is more to a migraine than a headache. We who suffer migraines KNOW. But if someone is "faking" - it may make them stop and think about an acutal migraine instead of a headache when asked questions about migraines.

I just try to engage them into conversation as I am the curious type and want to know about their status of migraines. Maybe offer help or if they are NOT faking--then they may have a tidbit of information that MAY HELP ME with mine. Who knows???

I don't try to prove them wrong or anything--I am geniunely interested to know their suffering and offer help. I do believe that the general non-migraineur public needs to be made aware of the "intensity" of migraines compared to just bad headaches.

I feel that most people don't realize just how bad a TRUE migraine is. But that is just my observation of what I contend with. Others may be totally different.

thetsarisa Click to EMail thetsarisaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-26-04, 02:47 PM (CMT)
19. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
About migraneurs faking it - actually it was discussed before.

We do not fake it- we have it.
Even if we are not in pain- we have it.
I don't think I ever faked an episode - I might make one look worse than it really was on occassion but I don't think I faked one.
Why should I? I cherish every time I am pain free.
I don't need to waste a day pretending..

As for wifes faking HA to avoid sex- well it mostly happens when the husband becomes a bore..

Risa

magicmom Click to EMail magicmomClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-26-04, 05:35 PM (CMT)
20. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
Brooke, I think you might just have to grin and bear it with the lady at work.

The real problem is, as you stated, it gives people the impression that migraine disease is a realtively minor inconvenience.

I imagine that a lot of people in your office realize what kind of a person she is though.

Also, any of your co-workers that have seen you in agnonizing pain can see the differrence between you and her with their own eyes.

Try not to let her get under your skin....not worth it in the long run.

Also, before I read through some of these threads, I never EVER thought that anybody with real migraine disease would try to fake a migraine, much less TRY to bring one on. I'm perplexed!

I've heard of drug abusers trying to fake it at the E.R. to get narcotics, which makes it hard for those realy suffering to get proper medical care.

Hmmm....learn something every day. So many people with migraines, so many different personalities, so many different approaches to life.

honeyb Click to EMail honeybClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Nov-28-04, 03:03 PM (CMT)
21. "RE: Fake Migraineurs"
I say throw up on her shoes and say, Now THAT'S a migraine.

Peace

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.