Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

doxielover Click to EMail doxieloverClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-02-04, 12:07 PM (CMT)
"Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
I've been trying to get myself on magnesium for the last couple of months. I take magnesium taurate because I've read its absorbable and less likely to cause diarrhea. It still does unfortunately.

Each time I get myself up to a dose that I think will be useful for preventing migraines, like 400-600mg per day, I start getting diarrhea and have to cut back.

What have you all done to deal with this issue? Is it safe to take immodium-ad every day? How about probiotics, like drinking kefir, or taking acidopholus pills?

Another point, my doc told me to add B2, is there anything I need to know about that?

Table of contents

Sustained Release, LTAYLOR1, Dec-02-04, (1)
RE: Sustained Release, SassySis, Dec-02-04, (2)
RE: Sustained Release, doxielover, Dec-02-04, (3)
RE: Sustained Release, SassySis, Dec-02-04, (5)
RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magn..., Catherine, Dec-02-04, (4)
RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magn..., genxgirl, Dec-02-04, (6)
RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magn..., charmed quark, Dec-02-04, (7)
RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magn..., Anna's Mom, Dec-03-04, (8)
RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magn..., Catherine, Dec-03-04, (9)
RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magn..., Anna's Mom, Dec-03-04, (10)
RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magn..., miss_good_fairy, Dec-03-04, (11)
RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magn..., Norma, Dec-03-04, (12)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

LTAYLOR1 Click to EMail LTAYLOR1Click to check IP address of the poster Dec-02-04, 12:28 PM (CMT)
1. "Sustained Release"
You might want to try another form of magnesium salt. I have posted on this in the past and even posted a link for a doctor that is doing Mg research. So you might check the archives & past posts.

I use Magnesium Lactate in a sustained release formula. The only source available is a brand called Mag-Tab SR. If your pharmacy does not stock it you can have them order it. There are also internet sources for it.

According to Dr. Massman & my pain mgmt doctor the lactate form is the one that is best absorbed by the body. By nature of the sustained release formula it is also easier to tolerate.

The recommended dosing is to begin with 2 tablets and increase every few days until the stools become comfortably soft. I take up to 8-11 tablets per day depending on my migraine status.

I hope this info helps. L

SassySis Click to EMail SassySisClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-02-04, 01:39 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Sustained Release"
Right on Lynn! I take the Mag Tab SR also. I've done real well with it!

doxielover Click to EMail doxieloverClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-02-04, 02:07 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Sustained Release"
Thanks for the tips, have either of you tried other forms of magnesium and found they give you diarrhea?

SassySis Click to EMail SassySisClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-02-04, 02:15 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Sustained Release"
LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-04 AT 02:19 PM (CMT)

Yes! Oh my yes! And you soon know too if you get one that does!!! Tummy gurgles and you think--Ah Oh!!! But Mag Tab SR tabs are well tolerated. Won't give you surprises anyway!!!

It takes a while for magnesium to be restored in your system. I saw some improvement within a week or so but then I saw a HUGE improvement in my migraines in about a month of regular doses of the Mag Tab's.

I have taken up to 8 or 9 tabs a day. But right now I am on 4 or 5. That may be why I am having some migs break through. I think I am going to up them again.

Mag Tab SRs are put out by Niche.

Catherine Click to EMail CatherineClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-02-04, 02:15 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
The magtab SR might be a good alternate. SR means slow release. If it is released over part of the day, you should get less of the stomach impact.

Also, have you tried just taking 200-300mg for several weeks for now and see if that dose helps the migraines? I have Magnesium oxide and then of course only take 250mg and have found a reasonable impact from that dose after a couple of weeks.

In Canada it is difficult to get the various types of magnesium, so I have given up trying for now. At some point I will find I place I can order online that will ship to Canada.

Catherine

genxgirl Click to EMail genxgirlClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-02-04, 02:57 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
I have been told that calcium is constipating, so if you don't take a calcium supplement already, you could add it and see what happens.

Whatever you do, DO NOT take magnesium citrate. That is the one I use, and I use it because I have troubles with constipation.

Vitimin B2 is riboflavin, and the the recommeded daily dose is something teeny like 1 mg or less. For maximum benefits from B2, you need to take 400 mg per day. You can ask your local pharmacist to order it for you as it is usually not stocked in that high of a dose.

B2 can be rough on the old tummy, so take the B2 with food. I used to get 100mg tablets so I spread out the 400 mg over the day. I had to stop taking it because it made me very nauseous. But my tummy is pretty sensitive.

Good luck...I hope these supplements work out for you.
joelle

charmed quark Click to EMail charmed quarkClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-02-04, 03:09 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
Yes - many antacid use a balanced mix of calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide. The result is suppose to be neither constipating or the opposite.

Typically, you get 148 mg of magnesium for 300 mg of calcium.

Anna's Mom Click to EMail Anna's MomClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-03-04, 10:00 AM (CMT)
8. "RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
Anna has gotten up to 1,000 mg magnesium a day with no problems that she can tell.

She gets her magnesium from: http://www.lef.org

It contains four kinds of magnesium: oxide, chloride, succinate, and amino acid chelate.

It's good stuff.

Cheryl

Catherine Click to EMail CatherineClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-03-04, 12:57 PM (CMT)
9. "RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
thanx Cheryl, I check into the co and although they do ship to Canada, they do not ship via postal so shipping to Canada is $28 - Yikes!

I got a whole huge box of approx 15 items, the box was the size of a big screen TV delievered from JC Penney last week for $30 delivery. And a $9 bottle of pills cost $28 to ship? Can you say rip-off? lol

Catherine

Anna's Mom Click to EMail Anna's MomClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-03-04, 01:33 PM (CMT)
10. "RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-04 AT 02:11 PM (CMT)

That is terrible, Catherine!

Sorry kiddo.

I really do like their supplements though.

In their latest magazine, they did a big story on CoQ10.

In 1983 the recommended dose of CoQ10 was 10 mg. three times daily (I guess Japanese doctors were first to prescribe it).

Now successful studies in Parkinson's patients has them taking 360 mg. to 1200 mg. daily.

You sure wonder what migraineurs should be taking with doses like these for Parkinson's patients.

Life Extension has reformulated their CoQ10 as "Super Absorable CoQ10", the lowest cost per absorable milligram CoQ10 in the world, they say.

Take two 200 mg. CoQ10, and you would obtain CoQ10 blood levels equivalent to ingesting about 696 mg. of conventional CoQ10 supplements.

The cheapest price (on sale right now) of 200 mg. is $94.50 per bottle for ten bottles. That would bottles of 100 softgel caps.

And if you're ordering it from Canada, oh my goodness!!!

The high cost of being sick.

Cheryl

miss_good_fairy Click to EMail miss_good_fairyClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-03-04, 01:46 PM (CMT)
11. "RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
hello, not sure you want to hear this but don't you get diarrhea because your body can't actually use so much magnesium-you can't force it to, whatever you do...if you gove it too much it just won't take it-thats why you end up getting diarrhea (in this case, i think). sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear,

miss_good_fairy

Norma Click to EMail NormaClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-03-04, 03:42 PM (CMT)
12. "RE: Dealing with diarrhea from magnesium"
LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-04 AT 10:39 AM (CMT)

I have had good luck with magnesium gluconate, also called chelated magnesium. I started with a couple of tablets, and increased very gradually as my gut got used to it.

I take 6 to 8 tablets a night now without any problem. I order online from Puritan's Pride. I could not tell you if they deliver to Canada, but it should be easy to find out.

Norma

p.s. I have 2 Doxies--one red, and one black and tan. They are mother and daughter. Have had the older one for almost 15 years.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.