Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Richard Click to EMail RichardClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 02:13 PM (CMT)
"What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
We talk so much about the aura and attack phase of a migraine episode but seldom mention the predrome and postdrome phases of episodes.

Back when I started on the migraine highway, Steve could tell an attack was starting because I would become very still ... motionless. And my hands and feet got chilly, quite cold. That was my predrome. Aura and Attack soon followed.

My postdrome, after the attack phase, is like a hangover. Washout feeling ... heavy fatigue and feeling wrung out.

What are your predrome and postdrome symptoms?

Hang In There! Tieni Duro! Non Mollare! Tiens Bon! Ne Laches Pas!

Richard

Table of contents

RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., LaneysMom, Apr-19-05, (1)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., oceandee, Apr-19-05, (3)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., LTAYLOR1, Apr-19-05, (2)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., CAROL BUTLER, Apr-19-05, (4)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., Norma, Apr-19-05, (5)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., sailing muffin, Apr-19-05, (6)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., rezelee, Apr-19-05, (7)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., Kathy W., Apr-19-05, (8)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., ruth, Apr-19-05, (9)
Re: Predrome and Prodrome symptoms, mjacob, Apr-19-05, (10)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., antonella, Apr-20-05, (11)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., guatmom, Apr-20-05, (12)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., SassySis, Apr-20-05, (13)
predome/postdrome, momof2inpa, Apr-20-05, (14)
RE: predome/postdrome, Dana3, Apr-20-05, (15)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., nursebeth, Apr-20-05, (16)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., HateMigraines, Apr-21-05, (17)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., kim4kids, Apr-21-05, (18)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., kleighe, Apr-21-05, (19)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., alice, Apr-22-05, (20)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., 30yrsofheadache, Apr-22-05, (21)
RE: What are your Predrome and Post..., smiley, Apr-22-05, (22)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

LaneysMom Click to EMail LaneysMomClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 02:29 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
I'm not sure that I have a predome symptom..except maybe sometimes I get very irritable. I definately have a 'hangover' feeling for at least two days as my postdrome symptome.

Michelle

oceandee Click to EMail oceandeeClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 02:33 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
I usually have a sharp pain in one of my shoulder blades....just comes on.

Afterward I am wasted....could just sleep and sleep and sleep for about 3 days. OH and I also spent time in the "Land of Stupid".

D

LTAYLOR1 Click to EMail LTAYLOR1Click to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 02:32 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
I find that the day before a doozy I will have so much energy. Almost as if I have never been sick even though my last migraine may have been just a few days prior.

This includes elevated mood, adrenaline surges, desire to cook, clean, socialize, shop. All the things I tend to put off because I have migraines. I also notice I am urinating much more frequently so I try to compensate by taking in more water to offset the dehydration which will soon come w/migraine.

I will then notice I am blind in one eye. It seems as if one eye has a film over it. This can continue for another 12 hours. Then wham-o!

Postdrome - I am wiped out and starving, but nothing sounds good. I might eat a bite or two of something and not like the way it tastes and move on to something else, this goes on and on until I finally give up and go back to bed.

I cannot believe this is my life 15-20 times per month. I am feeling the onset of migraine right now. Taking meds to keep severe pain at bay. It is a never ending battle.

CAROL BUTLER Click to EMail CAROL BUTLERClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 03:21 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-05 AT 03:22 PM (CMT)

My predrome symptoms are either

1.A build up of energy - want to be like super woman and clean the world.

2.Total inertia, no energy, no enthusiasm, total lethargy.

My postdrome symptoms are both

1.Hangover, flu like condition.

2.I turn into a female "Ossie Osbourne", stumble about, incoherant.

Carol UK

Norma Click to EMail NormaClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 05:41 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
I get tears running from my right eye--just drip, drip, drip. Then pain on that same side a few hours later. Now, since botox, I find sometimes I have the weeping eye but don't get the pain. That is one way I know that I am getting relief from the headache pain even though I still have the underlying migraine condition.

Norma

sailing muffin Click to EMail sailing muffinClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 06:00 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
Hi,

There are several things that I know are predromes. usually not all occur, but they can.

I have noticed that i start to get really irritable and impatient with others. It is never anything that bothers me- usually ther person tapping a pen, talking loudly, anything.

I also have a tendency to feel uncomfortable in my own skin. I feel tired and restless.

The one thing that indicates a particularly bad attack occurs with the aura. I hallucinate- things in pictures start moving, or something similar. At this poing I knwo it bad.

as for post drome, I usually feel tired and a bit worn out. i also feel happy that the clouds have lifted for a while.

sailing muffin

rezelee Click to EMail rezeleeClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 06:24 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
I normally get a HUGE burst of energy. Enough to completely scrub the whole house. Everything gets washed, cleaned and put away. I think it is because my body knows if it does not get done then that it will not get done at all.

I also get very moody before a migraine. Postdome for me is not good. I always feel very sick. I guess it could be like a hangover but, I have never had one so I am not positive there! My body aches all over too.

Kathy W. Click to EMail Kathy W.Click to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 07:33 PM (CMT)
8. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
A day or two before an attack I become absolutely exhausted, I have alot of muscle tension in my neck, my face and head begin to tingle and I sometimes get diarrea. For a few days or even weeks after, I am still tired, the tingling continues and is now in my arm and leg and I feel a bit disoriented. When things were really bad, I would recover just in time for another one to hit. Thank God lately there is more time between attacks.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Kathy

ruth Click to EMail ruthClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 07:39 PM (CMT)
9. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
I don't have any predrome symptoms that I can think of. Just the postdrome - the dreadful washed out feeling for a couple of days.

mjacob Click to EMail mjacobClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-05, 08:47 PM (CMT)
10. "Re: Predrome and Prodrome symptoms"
Predrome:

I get a pain in the right side of my neck. I get the chills. Sometimes I start craving salt or chocolate like a pms symptom (that I have never had). My eye waters, too. I get cranky.

I'm not sure if this falls under predrome but I frequently get IBS. If I haven't recently ate and I get any one of the above and an uncontrolable urge for a bathroom I imediately take my Frova. (I know, WTMI. But, I figured you all would understand.)

Postdrome:

Hmmm.....Does depression count? Exhaustion. I can't sleep while the pain is still there but once the cycle begins to break I sleep for as long as I can. Dull general headache and I itch all over but I think that is the meds.

I just remembered that I frequently stutter and "lose" words before hand, too. Or, at least my co-workers and family say I do.

Interesting thread

antonella Click to EMail antonellaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-20-05, 02:58 AM (CMT)
11. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
Prodrome symptoms: weakness, speech difficulty, dizziness, confusion, numbness

Postdrome symptoms: nausea, fatigue, muscle pain

These are the most frequent symptoms, but any attack can bring something new and unknown.
Isn't migraine funny???

Ciao

guatmom Click to EMail guatmomClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-20-05, 05:46 AM (CMT)
12. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
Predrome: lots of yawning, feeling stressed for no reason or a huge burst of energy and feeling great.

Postdrome: Tired hungover feeling, exhausted, depressed.

SassySis Click to EMail SassySisClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-20-05, 07:07 AM (CMT)
13. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
Before the mig: I sometimes get a real hyper mood. Can clean like I've never cleaned before. Feel like a big ball of fury! Sometimes I have excessive yawning--one yawn right after the other and don't really feel sleepy--just yawn to the point of embarrassment. Feel cold and chilly too. I also notice that I do not urinate and someone told me once that is because your body is trying to hold onto the magnesium and potassium. But once the mig is on it's way out---I lay claims on the bathroom. It's all mine for awhile!!! I have a watery right eye and sinus before a mig too--that's when I know the mig is right about to begin it's horrible pain stage. I also turn words around or "mash" them together.

For example:I might say "Thank you, have a gray" instead of "have a great day". or I will turn it arouond and say "have a day great". Weird.

Afterwards--I will always have the "hungover" nausea, fatigue feeling for about two or three days. No energy--just really lethargic. My doc says it is prob due to severe pain--severe pain can wear you out. so if mig pain lasts three days I am totally out of sync for six days counting the after effects.

momof2inpa Click to EMail momof2inpaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-20-05, 09:21 AM (CMT)
14. "predome/postdrome"
predome: lots of yawning, feel like i'm going to get a bug, no energy

postdome: washed out, lethargic, but body feels so relaxed from the tension having been released

Dana3 Click to EMail Dana3Click to check IP address of the poster Apr-20-05, 09:58 AM (CMT)
15. "RE: predome/postdrome"
Hey Richard!
Long time no see. Hope you are well and doing fine.
Since I am visiting today I too will answer your survey.
Pre- Maybe clean-crazy high energy and possibly a tiny shooting star crossing the field of vision 12-24 hrs ahead.
Post- just the wrung out hung over stupidhead feeling.
Dana

nursebeth Click to EMail nursebethClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-20-05, 10:27 AM (CMT)
16. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
Prodrome: Chest pain
Smell Tobacco hanging in the barn (when I'm no where around a barn!)
Mean - sometimes I can't stand myself!

Aura: Floating balls of mercury
Green glow around people (only people - not objects)

Postdrome: Hangover feeling
Fatigue

Beth

HateMigraines Click to EMail HateMigrainesClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-21-05, 01:34 PM (CMT)
17. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
I get tired, irritable before a migriane. After, I get exhausted, stupid.

I am intrigued by those of you who get a burst of energy before a migraine and clean the house. Somehow, that urge never happens for me...!

Gail

kim4kids Click to EMail kim4kidsClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-21-05, 02:24 PM (CMT)
18. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
My husband gets mad at me when I go on my "cleaning rampages" because he thinks it sets off my migraine. I never thought about it actually being a prodrome....interesting. When I can just feel the pain starting I get chills and a tingly feeling on one side of my head...sort of like goosebumps. Sometimes I'll notice I yawn a lot and I'll get depressed and irritable all of a sudden. Once the pain is underway I sometimes urinate a lot.

Postdrome is always that totally wiped out feeling...at least a day or two on the couch staring at the tv.

Kim

kleighe Click to EMail kleigheClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-21-05, 09:47 PM (CMT)
19. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
pre-
.......yup, the crazy cleaning!
.......one or both eyes twitch (just underneath the eye)
.......depression as it gets closer (even though I'm not even sure an M is coming)

post-
......just anger that it's happened again, that it's taken over my life

alice Click to EMail aliceClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-22-05, 03:21 AM (CMT)
20. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
Prodrom: mild aches in my head, here and there, dizziness and numbness in my head, a bit of photofobia.

My postdrom is nice, I am energetic, I have an alert mind and reactions, everything around becomes interesting and the world around appears full of meanings. It is the self I would like to have all the time.

30yrsofheadache Click to EMail 30yrsofheadacheClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-22-05, 03:52 AM (CMT)
21. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
The day before, I get the surge of energy to take care of everything I wont be able to do in the days/weeks to follow.

The day of I get irritable, yawn a lot, and have a feeling of doom.

Afterwards, I am sooo tired and have brain fog.
Cindy

smiley Click to EMail smileyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-22-05, 06:32 AM (CMT)
22. "RE: What are your Predrome and Postdrome symptoms?"
Predrome:
numbness, confusion, dizziness, Aura ( eys, not all the time), mude drops or I getting a real high and I`m over active, my hearing changes ( hear sounds and noises way louder than voices of people)

Postdrome:
feel like a train run over me, and my brain doesn`t want to work, but what do you expect, when a train hit`s you

smiley

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.