Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Why does Benadryl seem to help?"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Kathy W. Click to EMail Kathy W.Click to check IP address of the poster May-11-05, 04:44 PM (CMT)
"Why does Benadryl seem to help?"
I have noticed lately that many of us here seem to get some temporary relief from Benadryl. If we're not having sinus headaches ( I thought that's what I had all along) how does it help with a migraine? Could it be that the anti histamine that makes us drowsy helps promote sleep? My neurologist told me to absolutely not take it and that there is no such thing as a sinus headache, just sinus infections. I don't know but I've taken it when I've already had my limit of everything else and it does seem to help at times.

Just curious.........

Kathy

Table of contents

antihistamine, sooz, May-11-05, (1)
RE: antihistamine, sailing muffin, May-11-05, (2)
RE: antihistamine, nubbyjenn, May-11-05, (3)
RE: antihistamine, moogle77, May-11-05, (4)
RE: Why does Benadryl seem to help?, 30yrsofheadache, May-12-05, (5)
RE: Why does Benadryl seem to help?, charmed quark, May-12-05, (6)
RE: Why does Benadryl seem to help?, nubbyjenn, May-12-05, (7)
RE: Why does Benadryl seem to help?, Kathy W., May-12-05, (8)
sinuses, art43, May-12-05, (9)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

sooz Click to EMail soozClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster May-11-05, 05:18 PM (CMT)
1. "antihistamine"
The interesting thing is that vistaril chich many of us take for both its headache relieving and antinausea properties is also an antihistamine...

Go figure...

sailing muffin Click to EMail sailing muffinClick to check IP address of the poster May-11-05, 05:32 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: antihistamine"
Hi,

I am not sure why Benedryl helps, but it does in my case. the first time I heard of it for migraine use was actually at the Michigan Headache clinic, where I was given IV Benedryl for several days, it did help with the intensity and also helped me relax.

Phenergan is also an antihistime and antinauseant. i was also on periactin, another antihistime for a while as a preventative. It helped for a while.

I am almost always given IV Benedryl in the ER. It seems to help me relax and allows other meds to work.

pain free days,
sailing muffin

nubbyjenn Click to EMail nubbyjennClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster May-11-05, 05:42 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: antihistamine"
LAST EDITED ON May-11-05 AT 05:48 PM (CMT)

It is two-fold...

First..so you know benadryl is an anti-histamine not a decongestant for sinus problems.

One reason is because migraineurs seem to have higher histamines in thier systems (if you scratch your arm and it gets really red then you have high histamines) and so..the theory is that if you take an anti-histamine it may reduce the migraine. Studies linking high histamine release and migraine have happened...and they do know that histamines "irritate nerves"...

Histamines release when there is inflammation - and they in turn cause redness, watery eyes..etc when there is allergy. But, they think that for some people migraine may have a connection to inflammation so..if they give benadryl it reduces the severity.

Kind of like how a corticosteroid shot will sometimes break a cycle. It is an anti-inflammatory.

The other reason is because it also makes you sleepy and can be anti-nausea a bit.

J

moogle77 Click to EMail moogle77Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster May-11-05, 10:30 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: antihistamine"
I have heard that taking benedryl too often can cause rebounds just like apirin. Have any of you heard this before??

Hugs,
Tracy

30yrsofheadache Click to EMail 30yrsofheadacheClick to check IP address of the poster May-12-05, 03:58 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: Why does Benadryl seem to help?"
Maybe I'm the minority, but Benedryl makes my head hurt more.
Cindy

charmed quark Click to EMail charmed quarkClick to check IP address of the poster May-12-05, 07:53 AM (CMT)
6. "RE: Why does Benadryl seem to help?"
Benadryl is also prevents motion sickness and nausea. This is somehow related to its "anticholinergic" or drying effects.

It is also a mild sedative. it can also lower blod pressurte, but increase the haeart rate.

Maybe some combo of the anti-nausea, sedating effect helps with your migraines. Or maybe it's the hypotension.

-CQ

nubbyjenn Click to EMail nubbyjennClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster May-12-05, 12:01 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Why does Benadryl seem to help?"
Are you sure that you are not using Benadryl sinus? There are 2 kinds. You may be getting a headache from it because it is the kind that has pseudephed in it? Just a thought...

I get headaches from decongestants with ephedra based meds in them...any sinus like meds.

J

Kathy W. Click to EMail Kathy W.Click to check IP address of the poster May-12-05, 05:34 PM (CMT)
8. "RE: Why does Benadryl seem to help?"
Thanks for all your replies. I am confused as to why my neuro told me not to take it if it is given through an IV in the ER? Maybe because of rebound headaches? Couldn't you have those from taking anything too much? I am also wondering if I should be tested for allergies. and maybe that's why I have pain in my sinuses and post nasal drip frequently? I don't sneeze alot though unless it is ragweed season or if I am too close to animals. Hmmmmmmm... so much to wonder about!

Thanks again!
Kathy

art43 Click to EMail art43Click to check IP address of the poster May-12-05, 10:48 PM (CMT)
9. "sinuses"
Kathy, Check out my Doctor's web site http://www.behinmd.com
He proved to me that my Migraines were actually being caused by my sinuses. I had his surgery and I am now CURED of Migraines!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.