Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Laptop use = neck pain = migraines ??"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

maia Click to EMail maiaClick to check IP address of the poster Jun-26-05, 10:49 AM (CMT)
"Laptop use = neck pain = migraines ??"
I never had a migraine in my life (I am 35) until a couple months ago and I've been having headaches and migraine-like symptoms almost daily since then. I work on a computer at home and I started using a laptop in January. Since my headaches are almost always accompanied by neck pain and stiffness, could the laptop be the entire culprit? If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them. I love my laptop, but I have two other computers I can use if I have to.

Also, does anyone know a drug-free way to control these neck spasms? I use a heat pack and it works temporarily. I've been doing stretches that don't seem to help at all.

Thanks!

Table of contents

RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migrai..., aheadache, Jun-26-05, (1)
RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migrai..., maia, Jun-27-05, (2)
RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migrai..., Nanna, Jul-01-05, (3)
RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migrai..., maia, Jul-05-05, (4)
RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migrai..., Nanna, Jul-06-05, (5)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

aheadache Click to EMail aheadacheClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jun-26-05, 11:55 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migraines ??"
I teach tech classes at the high school level, and the big thing is posture. Students use poor posture and it causes spasms in them.

Feet flat on the floor always (my number 1 problem.)
Sitting up straight.
Elbows to tips of fingers should be resting on a surface - not free floating.
Every 20-30 min. take a neck relax break. Stand, stretch, move neck/head slowly side to side, chin to chest, head back, breathe and relax. Now back to it.
Adjust desk to accomodate your use.
Sometimes simple things like portable mouse (attach usb), portable keypad, if you are using lots of numbers.
Oh - old physical therapy trick - she told me everytime I looked at my watch I should do a posture check. Thought how stupid - - - but I like Pavlov's dog look at my wrist whether my watch is on or not, I do a posture check.

Take care.
Donna

maia Click to EMail maiaClick to check IP address of the poster Jun-27-05, 12:36 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migraines ??"
Thank you so much, Donna! My feet are *never* flat on the floor. I'm going to be mindful of all of these things. The screen is lower than a desktop. I heard that the top of the screen should be at eye level. Is this true?

I hope there aren't any bells ringing where you work!

Nanna Click to EMail NannaClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-01-05, 02:26 AM (CMT)
3. "RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migraines ??"
Hi Maia,

While the new laptop may be the culprit, there are other possibilities.

You may laugh, but some women enter pre-menopause around 35 and low hormone levels CAN cause migraines. I started having menstrual-cycle related migraines when I was around 39 years old. Consider having your hormone levels checked. For some, low level birth-control pills may help.

Another possibility: food. Have you started eating some new food(s) in the last few months?

Some foods that may trigger migraines: The list is NOT inclusive.

Sweets, cake and candy of any kind.
Hard cheeses
Oranges
Avocados
Chocolate
Wine, especially red wine
Salty foods like chips and such junk
Smoking
Caffein, which may also help relieve a migraine.

While exercise is ALWAYS good, a highly increased levels of exercise CAN cause body stress and possibly low blood sugar.

Hope this helps,

Nanna

maia Click to EMail maiaClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-05-05, 07:11 AM (CMT)
4. "RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migraines ??"
It's funny you said that because that was initially what I thought. I never thought PMS was even a real thing until the past year or so. It has become a big problem for me lately. The first doctor I asked about the migraines was my OB/GYN and she said it could be hormonal, but she sent me to a neurologist to get checked out. He ordered an MRI and I got all preoccupied with that, thinking I had something terrible (the MRI came out normal, though). My diet hasn't changed at all and I haven't been exercising excessively. I am going to see my OB/GYN again and see if she has some kind of solution.

My migraines aren't pounding headaches. I get weird symptoms instead, like I'll feel like hot water is dripping on one spot of my head for a couple hours. Then that spot or another one will be sore for a day or two. Then my neck will hurt or my arm will feel funny or something. The cycle goes on and on and it's not the horrible headache that I always thought migraines included, but from what I read, it still is probably a migraine.

I feel so sorry for all you people who have been dealing with this for years and years, because 3 months have been pretty distressing for me. Thank you for your input!

Nanna Click to EMail NannaClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-06-05, 03:17 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Laptop use = neck pain = migraines ??"
Hi Maia,

PMS is real! But you know that now. Re: pre-menopausal symptoms. Tired, sluggish, moody, memory problems, tired...did I mention TIRED. Problems getting a good night sleep.

The migraine I had started slowly and I would not, like you, have said that it was a migraine. But I had an odd sense of "pain" in the right side of my face, upper portion. My neck hurt and the pain would sometimes travel down into my arm. OTC's did not take away the odd pain sensation of a headache that did not behave like a headache. It just felt very unpleasant in an odd way that could not be classified as real pain.

By the time I was 42, I had my first full-blown migraine (terrible nausea, horrible pain, etc. etc.) and then every month right in the middle of my menstruation.

Many women are helped by taking low dose birth-control pills that stabilise the estrogen level and get rid of the migraines. It did not help me. Changing your diet and/or using homeopathic remedies may also help as a stand alone remedy.

I recommend that you Google 'pre-menopause' or 'menopause' and find as much information about as you can.

When my period finally stopped around 52, I started taking ORT and the change from limpid woman to active woman was almost instant. I could think and write and study aand work without any problems what so ever. Although lessened in intensity, the migraines have not stopped. I now take Relpax (a triptan)at the first sign of one, and I have recently (at 58) stopped the ORT without any problems.

The key to managing pre- and menopause is aggresive self education and a willingness to believe in and trust the messages your body is sending you. And to not allow any OB/GYN to tell you that it's all in your head, or any other such nonsense.

You may be early and there is absolutely NO need for you to suffer this, that and the other thing for the next 10 years.

Good luck,

Nanna

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.