Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Does anyone have constant ringing or buzzing in their ears?"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Countrysunshine Click to EMail CountrysunshineClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-11-01, 03:03 PM (CMT)
"Does anyone have constant ringing or buzzing in their ears?"
For along time now I have had a constant ringing or buzzing in my ears. At times in one ear usually on the right side has a high frequency sound that last about 1 minute, but always the ringing or buzzing. My mom says she has that too, and a nurse at the ER told me when I was there once for a migraine, that she has migraines and has this at times. When I lay down with a migraine I have to have the tv or radio on to keep the ringing from driving me nuts, the migraines have that one. I have this don't know why. I guess it's just part of having this I call it a disease, along with the shakes or tremors, dizziness, and walking into walls, doors, etc...
If anyone has any ideals on this I would love to hear them. Heres to pain free days and nights.

Table of contents

RE: Does anyone have constant ringi..., Nora, Feb-11-01, (1)
Re: Noise in ears, Zuzu, Feb-11-01, (2)
RE: Re: Noise in ears, cjhart, Feb-11-01, (3)
RE: Re: Noise in ears, zuzu, Feb-11-01, (4)
RE: Does anyone have constant ringi..., maza-gu-su, Feb-12-01, (5)
RE: Does anyone have constant ringi..., HMcKenzie, Feb-13-01, (6)
RE: Does anyone have constant ringi..., Countrysunshine, Feb-14-01, (7)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

Nora Click to EMail NoraClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-11-01, 03:24 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Does anyone have constant ringing or buzzing in their ears?"
Yes! I have constant ringing in my ears! It's called tinnitis(sp?) and lots of people have it, migrainuers or not. I've got TMJ (a joint problem with my jaw) and that's when I first started having problems with my ears. It can be caused by some medications as well, especially some of the ones prescribed for the prevention of migraines. I've gotten used to it now, but it is worst when it's quiet and I'm trying to fall asleep. Have you tried a "white noise" machine? You can get them at Radio Shack or where ever and they make the sound of the ocean, rain, etc. That may help, but it might be a good idea to see your doc if it becomes constant. There are also websites and support groups for people who suffer continually, because it can make you go crazy until you find ways of coping with the constant buzz. I hope this helps!
Nora

Zuzu Click to EMail ZuzuClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-11-01, 08:50 PM (CMT)
2. "Re: Noise in ears"
Hi,
I have no idea if you could have the same problem(s) that I do, and I hope you don't, but when I saw your post, I just couldn't resist replying to it. I've been a migraine sufferer for about 11 years now, since I was 20 years old. About three years ago, I started to notice that I had a constant "roaring" sound in my ear, like when you put a big seashell up to your ear. Well, after much investigation, an Ear-Nose-Throat doctor diagnosed me with a condition called Meniere's Disease (something I had never heard of before). It is an inner-ear condition, it's major symptoms being tinnitus, dizziness and a loss of hearing. My doctor actually classifies what I have as "pre-Meniere's", since I have tinnitus (constant), and I have had a fluctuating hearing loss in my right ear, but no dizziness/vertigo so far. No known cause or cure, and it's not life-threatening, but the vertigo and hearing loss can obviously be debilitating.
Anyway, no idea if this could possibly relate to what you've experienced, but it's as least something to keep in mind! Best wishes,
Zuzu

cjhart Click to EMail cjhartClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-11-01, 09:22 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Re: Noise in ears"
A friend of my mother-in-law had Meneire's Disease, her doctor gave her an antibiotic shot in her ear drum twice and it cleared it up. I'm thinking of checking into it.

zuzu Click to EMail zuzuClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-11-01, 10:30 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: Re: Noise in ears"
Have you had many ear infections? I did and I am 41 and last yr after having about 20 sets of tubes placed in my ear I had a new procedure done and I am doing well now but having a lot of ear infections can cause ringing in the ears. Sometimes fluid builds up behind the ear drum and will cause those types of problems. You probably need to have an ear nose and throat doc check you out to be on the safe side. Also having ear infections can cause nerve damage and will cause the same ringing in the ears.
Kim

maza-gu-su Click to EMail maza-gu-suClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-12-01, 03:27 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: Does anyone have constant ringing or buzzing in their ears?"
Funny you should ask!
I, too, have this "sound" whooshing in my ears. (annoying particularly when we have migraines and want silence, eh??)The cause is complicated and my answer could get long. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more info than I'm giving here ( I have plenty)
First and foremost, *insist that your doc check this out. If doc does NOT address it, ask to be referred to an ENT. (*ear, nose, and throat doc) This sounds extreme but what may just be a major "annoyance" sometimes can be major trouble. Some causes:
*ear infections
*blocked ear canals or eustachian tubes
*otosclerosis (this is where the bone in your ear grows abnormally, can cause hearing loss, & is genetic)
*inner ear tumors
*Meniere's disease (a LOT of what you described in the brief post fits this - and, it can lead to deafness....!)
*Damage from drugs (especially ASPIRIN , some antibiotics) - do you take aspirin-containig meds? How about any other salicylates? Or a drug that synergises it?
yadda yadda! (sorry)
Also - if you have anemia, heart or blood vessel problems (especially hypertention), even low thyroid, it can cause it.
***BUT HERE's A KICKER - - in Europe, they are studying Migraines and their LINK to HEARING DAMAGE - something to my (limited and feeble!) knowledge is NOT being done here. The hypothesis in Europe is that all the vascular action (dialation-constriction) as well as other, many unknown factors that CAUSE migraines are also damaging ears. SO....we can now add that to our *disability-possibiliy list!!!
Feel free to e-mail me for more details....
Sorry I post so long!
Maza-gu-su (Bekki)
bekkid@mac.com

HMcKenzie Click to EMail HMcKenzieClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-13-01, 07:26 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: Does anyone have constant ringing or buzzing in their ears?"
Hello! I too have the constant ringing in both ears it sounds to me like the hearing tests We got as children the high pitch tone and as I get older(40) I notice that it has gotten louder but I have gotten information on tenittis and it is a condition that alot of people have and from what I understand there is no cure My neuro did not seem surprised when I told Him I had it. the only thing that has helped Me is using a fan at night (winter or summer) so I am not sleeping in silence. Hope that You find answers that help. HMcKenzie

Countrysunshine Click to EMail CountrysunshineClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-14-01, 06:55 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Does anyone have constant ringing or buzzing in their ears?"
Thank you all for the info on this. I just got out of the hospital, bad migraine attack again (happened back in Dec for 4 weeks trips to office and ER) and this time my Dr decided to put me in the hospital on a PCA with demeral for 23 hours, thankfully I only stayed on it about 16 hours, I told him about the ringing in my ears, said he would check into it more at the office, and he said something about fuild in the inner ear. And I go to bed at night with the tv on to fall asleep to. And I told my husband thats way I do that, he didn't know about the ringing in my ears.
I thought I had told him but he said I didn't. What these migraines do to the mind, LOL

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.