Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Migraines and onions"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

ruthrh Click to EMail ruthrhClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-24-00, 12:35 PM (CMT)
"Migraines and onions"
I have had migraines for years, but until recently have been able to keep them somewhat under control as long as I get plenty of sleep and don't drink wine. With this, I had been able to control them to one full blown migraine per month, which I think is quite good.

I recently moved to California and have started getting headaches whenever I chop onions. I have no problems eating onions, just preparing them. I don't know if it is the types of onions they have in CA or if it coincidence. Since I am a vegetarian and my daughter is ADD, my family's diet is already quite limited, so my not being able to chop onions is a real problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Can you suggest a workaround? I am desperate.

Thanks.

Table of contents

Re: migraine and onions, cyn, Jan-26-00, (1)
RE: Re: migraine and onions, kathy, Jan-28-00, (2)
Onions, Catherine, Feb-01-00, (3)
Onions, Catherine, Feb-01-00, (4)
RE: Migraines and onions, dcarson, Feb-22-00, (5)
RE: Migraines and onions, leeb, Feb-22-00, (6)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

cyn Click to EMail cynClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-26-00, 10:55 PM (CMT)
1. "Re: migraine and onions"
Hi! I have not found that my migraines are from any of the traditional triggers (aged cheeses, chocolate, strawberries, etc.) but I think there might be a connection with raw onions. I get migraines nearly every day so it is hard to pin down triggers, but it seems that sometimes I have a really bad one I've had raw onions that day. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat much red meat. It seems like once a month or so I have a huge craving for a hamburger and I like my burgers with lots of raw onion. However - I'm not sure if I get a migraine from the burger or the onion or if I crave one of those foods when I have a bad migraine coming on.

As an alternative, maybe you could try one of those mini-choppers. I have one and all I have to do is cut a few big chunks and the chopper does the rest - no tears. Or try one of the old-fashioned methods - cutting the onion under running water, wearing glasses, burning a candle near the onion?

kathy Click to EMail kathyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-28-00, 09:12 AM (CMT)
2. "RE: Re: migraine and onions"
Onions are on my migraine list. It says flavoring with them is Ok. That's very interesting that you get a HA from cutting them. Do you think the aroma is getting you? I don't know, maybe try nose clips? I heard wearing goggles helps also. I don't use onions anymore. I use onion powder now. Sorry I'm not much help.

Catherine Click to EMail CatherineClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-01-00, 08:58 AM (CMT)
3. "Onions"
I haven't had this experience, but wanted to add that I purchase onions, pre-chopped and frozen. (I can't stand the smell of fresh cut onions). Also, our grocer food service dept sells pre-chopped onions (which could be frozen).

Something to try to find in your area that may help you...

Catherine

Catherine Click to EMail CatherineClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-01-00, 09:01 AM (CMT)
4. "Onions"
I don't have problems as you do, but hate the smell of fresh chopped onions. I purchase frozen chopped onions in a specialty store. Our grocery store will also sell (on request) fresh chopped onions which could also be frozen.

You may be able to find one of these options in your area. Hope this help.

Catherine

dcarson Click to EMail dcarsonClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-22-00, 01:05 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Migraines and onions"
Onions indeed!
I discovered that they will cause me violent headaches if I eat them raw.
I can see how they might affect you when you inhale the fumes while cutting them. Just think about how nasal sprays for other things are absorbed by the nasal passages which are so close to the brain. You may just be extremely sensitive to this trigger.
Dianne

leeb Click to EMail leebClick to check IP address of the poster Feb-22-00, 05:27 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: Migraines and onions"
This is the first I have heard of onions. I try never to eat raw onions, only because my stomache can't handle it. My sister and my neice have the same problem. I don't know if they trigger my headaches or not. Does anyone else have gastrointestinal problems? Is there a connection to HA?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.