Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Migraine Shots"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Tanner Click to EMail TannerClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-10-06, 07:43 PM (CMT)
"Migraine Shots"
Does anyone have shots prescribed for their migraines? I'm on the pill form of Imitrex, which doesn't work too well, and I was wondering if switching to a shot would work any better. I presume it does.

Table of contents

RE: Migraine Shots, tired_of_migraines, Jul-10-06, (1)
RE: Migraine Shots, yesithurts, Jul-10-06, (2)
RE: Migraine Shots, LynelleH, Jul-10-06, (3)
migraine shots, momof2inpa, Jul-11-06, (4)
RE: migraine shots, MM, Jul-11-06, (5)
RE: migraine shots, loaconstrictor, Jul-11-06, (6)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

tired_of_migraines Click to EMail tired_of_migrainesClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-10-06, 08:11 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Migraine Shots"
I'm needlephobic, so for me its not worth it. If imitrex isnt working, I'd switch to something else. Personally Elavil works for the migraine headache part of mine (I get abdominal ones too) but different things work for different people. I'd move on to something else.
-Samantha
AKA: The walking pharmacy

yesithurts Click to EMail yesithurtsClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-10-06, 09:07 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Migraine Shots"
Tanner,
My friend said the shot worked much better for her but she did get some results with the pill.
Guess if you are getting no relief at all from the pill the shot won't be too good either .
However, if you get some relief the shot might be worth a shot (ha pun intended).
Lenette

LynelleH Click to EMail LynelleHClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-10-06, 11:57 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Migraine Shots"
I've tried toradol shots and DHE shots, and once I got enough courage up to actually give themto myself, I did find relief from both.

Sending rays of sunshine from the desert,

Lynelle
http://www.freewebs.com/lynelleh/

momof2inpa Click to EMail momof2inpaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-11-06, 06:24 AM (CMT)
4. "migraine shots"
I use the Imitrex shots and I LOVE THEM! I tend to vomit horribly when I get my migraines so the oral pill does nothing for me. The shot works in about 15 minutes for me. Once you get over the initial shock of having to give yourself a shot, it shouldn't be a problem. It's that fear of the unknown on the first injection! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't use Imitrex...it has given me a new lease on life....and I'm enjoying every pain free moment of it! Good Luck!

Lorie
"When life throws you a curve...learn how to swerve."

MM Click to EMail MMClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-11-06, 08:10 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: migraine shots"
I was given imitrex in shot form for my really bad vomiting M's, and knock on wood, I haven't had to use it yet. I was told it would work faster than the pill form.
Best of luck to you.
MM

loaconstrictor Click to EMail loaconstrictorClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-11-06, 08:38 AM (CMT)
6. "RE: migraine shots"
I've been given shots of nausea medicatons in the ER for migraines with vomiting because at that point, no pill is going to work - I'm just not keeping it down. Then they usually give me some demoral for pain relief and to help me sleep and send me on my way.

As far as IV medications go though, I've found that when I'm really sick having an IV line put in and taking my DHE 45 that way is sometimes more effective than taking it intranasally. I'm not sure why - It's the same medication at that point, and my doctor says it's the same dose, but for some reason, the absorbtion must just be better. Anyway, for doozies, sometimes it's a better way to go.

~Liz

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.