Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Splenda a migraine trigger?"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

willow21 Click to EMail willow21Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-13-06, 05:34 PM (CMT)
"Splenda a migraine trigger?"
Hi,

I tried looking through the archives for this but couldn't find it, so I apologize if this has been talked to death.

I am just wonderingif Splenda is a known migraine trigger. I drank a bottle of water flavored with splenda and within a half hour my stomach was very upset and I am feeling a nasty migraine starting.

Am I crazy or could it be the Splenda?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Willow

Table of contents

RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, smiley, Aug-13-06, (1)
Splenda, shelllauren, Aug-13-06, (2)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, TeriRobert, Aug-13-06, (3)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, deb26, Aug-14-06, (4)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, willow21, Aug-14-06, (5)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, charmed quark, Aug-14-06, (6)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, LTAYLOR, Aug-14-06, (7)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, Anna's Mom, Aug-14-06, (8)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, Bon, Aug-14-06, (9)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, willow21, Aug-15-06, (10)
RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?, eskeen, Aug-15-06, (11)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

smiley Click to EMail smileyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-13-06, 05:47 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
It could be, I would try it another time again and see how you react. I have also problems with artifical sweetners, but Splenda is made from real sugar and I have no problems with it. Everyone is different and reacts different. Give it another try, perhaps try plain Splenda. It could be something else in that drink, the flavor of the water. I can`t drink flavored water anyway, triggers me always a M. Doesn`t have to be the Splenda.

hugs, smiley

We cannot tell what may happen to
us in the strange medley of life.
But we can decide what happens in
us ... and that is what really
counts in the end.
How to take the raw stuff of life
and make it a thing of worth & beauty.

shelllauren Click to EMail shelllaurenClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-13-06, 06:56 PM (CMT)
2. "Splenda"
Hi Willow,
Artificial sweetners have caused migraines for me, but not every time. Aspartame has been worse for me than Splenda but both have been problems from time to time.

I hope that nasty migraine never fully materialized.
Love,
Shelly

TeriRobert Click to EMail TeriRobertClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-13-06, 09:50 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
It is a trigger for some people. Then there are people like me. I can use Equal or Splenda with no problem. Sorry it bothered you.

Teri Robert
Migraineur, writer, patient advocate
HelpForHeadaches.com
About Headaches and Migraine
teri@helpforheadaches.com

deb26 Click to EMail deb26Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-14-06, 05:57 AM (CMT)
4. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
My brother is a diabetic and will not use artifical sweetners. He told me that when you drink a diet soda your body says I'm getting something sweet i better release some insulin which cause will cause your blood sugar to drop.
If your blood sugar was already on the low side this could be the problem.

you might want to moniter your blood sugar to see if it is a trigger

willow21 Click to EMail willow21Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-14-06, 06:39 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-06 AT 06:40 AM (CMT)

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your input.

I did indeed have a fullblown horrible migraine attack last night.

I lost total vision in my left eye, face, hand, and legs were numb, and I couldn't stop vomiting. And it felt like someone was stabbing me on the left side of my head which is unusual because my migraines are right sided 99% of the time.

I feel like I was hit by a bus today and still have that nagging left sided throbbing. Think I'll baby myself a bit this morning, I'm afraid of it returning as it's not quite gone this morning.

I think I will stay away from the Splenda for now, last night was a horrible attack.

Thanks for listening to me whine AGAIN!!

Thanks again everyone,
Willow

charmed quark Click to EMail charmed quarkClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-14-06, 11:39 AM (CMT)
6. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
I haven't had a real problem with Splenda. I don't normally use any artificial sweetner (don't like the tastes), but occasionally drink or eat them when that's all that's available.

That said, I think I have had migraines triggered by all the artificial sweetners on occasion. Here's my theory: a lot of my migraines occur when my blood sugar drops. Sweet tasting things cause insulin to increase in the blood. But when there's no sugar from the food the result of the insulin is a drop in blood sugar - triggering my migraines.

How's that for an off-the-cuff theory!

LTAYLOR Click to EMail LTAYLORClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-14-06, 12:06 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
If you do a google search on Splenda + Migraines it will come up with lots of sites w/users complaining of migraines from splenda.

I personally can't use it or any of the other artificial sweeteners. If I am going to have sugar I will just have plain old sugar but I try to sweeten with honey or pure maple syrup. It is so hard to get the taste right so normally I just go with out sweeteners. I guess you get used to it and then everything tastes too sweet.

I hope you are feeling better now. Peace, L

Anna's Mom Click to EMail Anna's MomClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-14-06, 12:59 PM (CMT)
8. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
I'm sorry to hear about your bad night, Willow. Glad to hear it isn't quite as awful today, though I greatly wish you were 100% pain-free.

Cheryl

Bon Click to EMail BonClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-14-06, 05:52 PM (CMT)
9. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
I'm so sorry to hear about Splenda triggering your migraine. For what it's worth, Splenda is the only artificial sweetener that doesn't give me trouble. Everyone's different. You might try a natural sweetener... it's herbal... you get it in the vitamin aisle or at a natural foods store... stevia. I tried it and didn't like it. Lots of people use it and find it to be great. Since it's natural, it might not bother you.
Be well,
Bon

willow21 Click to EMail willow21Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-15-06, 08:01 AM (CMT)
10. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I have to drink more water and quite frankly I just don't like it so I thought I would try a flavored variety. I knew apertane was a trigger for me so I don't know why I thought splenda wouldn't be.

I guess I stick to putting lemon in my water!

Thanks again,
Willow

eskeen Click to EMail eskeenClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-15-06, 09:49 AM (CMT)
11. "RE: Splenda a migraine trigger?"
Hey everyone,

I meant to inquire about this as well...the Splenda/migraine 'connection'/possibility or whatnot.

Being diabetic, I use Splenda..actually, I was accustomed to it BEFORE I was diagnosed as a diabetic (diagnosed Aug. 3, 2004). My Dad was a Type 2, and so...I was used to it 'before then'/as a result.

I'd NEVER had a problem until a few wks. (I think) before coming back home from vacationing in FL (there from June 3-Aug. 4) and for me: I'd have problems with using Splenda *on* something; not as an additive to products. Make sense/am I making sense..?

I'd use it on unsweetened cereal; primarily Cheerios, or strawberries. That was pretty much it. After eating, my entire mouth would tingle, then go numb, and BAM!--migraine. UGH!

That REALLY sucks because I *abhor* any and ALL other sugar substitutes. Allison (Allie), my sister, found Wal-mart's version--Altern--and I've used it once maybe, and I think it's been OK. Maybe I need to 'experiment' with it (more) and see..(?) LOL..

I'd pondered about Stevia, but frankly, THAT freaks me out(!) I have always, always worried about that/using that. Mom bought it when we did SouthBeach, but I can't remember now if she ever used it or not. My BIL David mentioned yesterday morning as he was leaving for work that he was going to take it to Chris, my brother (he's supposedly diabetic now..LONG story...), but I told him it'd expired July '05. He said "Well, guess that's not gonna happen now.." and I said "NO, it's NOT!". LOL...I'm NOT one for expired products...compared to SOME people..UGH!

*rolls eyes*

Oh well...maybe I'll see how the Altern does, and go from there. I really, really like(d) Splenda though. I was/am bad to forget to take the indiv. packets w/me though when I go to a restaurant/out somewhere...VERY few places carry it. My Mom's best friend carries it with her. LOL. I noticed that Olive Garden has slim, tiny packs (I *rarely* eat out...). Money's a huge factor.

As a sidenote: my neuro appt.'s tomorrow..(!) It's ONLY been 5 friggin' months since I last saw Dr. Englert (vacation derailed my appt. I was supposed to have June 21). We'll see...what all transpires. Maybe I'll jump on the Elavil bandwagon after all, or something..

Erin

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.