Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig??????"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Moby Click to EMail MobyClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-18-01, 07:55 PM (CMT)
"Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig??????"
I'm trying to figure out exactly what the difference is between Maxalt, Zomig & Imitrex. I'm currently switching between zomig and imitrex. Both seem to take at least 2 hours to help and zomig seems to help with the pain the most. I have not tried Maxalt. I've heard it works faster. Does anyone know? Please let me know any side effects you may have had with Maxalt, etc. I have very little side effects with the other 2. I'm just looking for something that works faster and maybe better. I know all 3 are abortives but thats about it!! I'm open to trying something new and my doc has been switching zomig and imitrex so they don't suddenly become ineffective from always taking the same thing. Thanks! Moby

Table of contents

RE: Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig????..., totweet1064, Apr-18-01, (1)
RE: Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig????..., Christa, Apr-19-01, (2)
RE: Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig????..., Norma, Apr-19-01, (3)
Maxalt side effects for Moby, sestewart, Apr-27-01, (4)
RE: Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig????..., ejvill, Apr-27-01, (5)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

totweet1064 Click to EMail totweet1064Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-18-01, 09:32 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig??????"
I have just recently tried the maxalt. It did not help me and I did not have any side effects. I was really scared of it, because my neuro told me that I would feel my jaw lock, and it would feel like I had lockjaw for a few minutes, but I did not have any effects at all. i can not take imitrex because I have mitro valve prolapse, I have tried it, but it made my heart race, and my chest get tight, and it did not help my migraine.
I have not tried the Zomig.
Patty

Christa Click to EMail ChristaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-01, 05:17 AM (CMT)
2. "RE: Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig??????"
Hi Moby:

I have found that Zomig works the best with the least side effects followed by Maxalt(the quick dissolve wafers) and Amerge. Imitrex worked for me for a short while and then stopped.

With triptans like these it is really impossible to say what will work for you without trying it. It seems everyone has a different response to each drug. Can your doc give you some samples of each?

The Robbins headache clinic site has some good information too: http://www.headachedrugs.com/

Norma Click to EMail NormaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-19-01, 02:50 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig??????"
Yes, the Robbins site is excellent! I have used all the triptans. I get the best results with the least side effects from 10 mg of Maxalt. Every once in awhile it makes me drowsy, but otherwise no problem. It usually gives me substantial pain relief in about an hour. Imitrex did the same, but gave me the "heavy chest, tight throat, pounding heart" thing, although I used it safely and almost daily for 2 years. Zomig takes about 2 hrs to work. Amerge takes about 4. That's the sum of my experience with triptans. Personally, I don't know if I would still have my sanity without them. It makes all the difference in the world to know I have something I can resort to for some relief.

Norma

sestewart Click to EMail sestewartClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-27-01, 10:15 AM (CMT)
4. "Maxalt side effects for Moby"
Hey Moby- I'm new to the Maxalt family- I have only taken it twice now. The first time I experienced a little difficulty breathing and had some pressure in my chest- my neurologist assures me that this is normal. I am very sensitive to medication so usually suffer all of the side effects. I ignored these ones and they didn't get worse. This first time that I took Maxalt I took it too late into the migraine and as a result there was no hope of it working. The second time that I took Maxalt I took it right away and this time suffered no side effects. I was out for most of the day but did not have to head to the hospital. I was dizzy for a few days after the migraine which is unusual for me- I'm not sure if that was from the headache or from Maxalt. So far I'm not sure what to think about Maxalt- no other triptan has worked for me- but this one seems to a little. Hope that this gives you some info. Best of luck- I know what you are going through.

ejvill Click to EMail ejvillClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-27-01, 11:13 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: Maxalt vs. Imitrex or Zomig??????"
I find Imitrex shots far superior for me. It takes about 20 minutes to work. Maxalt Mlt seem to work the next best for me. Imitrex pills, Maxalt pills, Amerge, Zomig seem to have less affect on me because my migraines seem to put my entire digestive system on hold.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.