Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Colonoscopy and Migraines"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

ruth Click to EMail ruthClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-13-06, 08:59 PM (CMT)
"Colonoscopy and Migraines"
I am having a colonoscopy at 7.30 in the morning and I am getting a really bad head.

I am having to fast today (which may be why my head is so bad).

My question is this to anyone that has had one of these tests. Do you know if it would be ok to take a Maxalt if the pain gets any worse? I can drink clear fluids up until midnight but I just wondered if the Maxalt would interfere with the test.

I am going to bed in a few minutes to try and sleep it off but I'm scared in case it gets bad again.

Hope someone can help me. Thanks!

Table of contents

Colonoscopy, jencee, Dec-13-06, (1)
RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines, annabelle, Dec-13-06, (2)
RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines, SimonaSays, Dec-13-06, (3)
RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines, annabelle, Dec-13-06, (4)
RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines, Billy Ray, Dec-14-06, (5)
RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines, MM, Dec-14-06, (6)
RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines, ruth, Dec-14-06, (7)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

jencee Click to EMail jenceeClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-13-06, 09:18 PM (CMT)
1. "Colonoscopy"
LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-06 AT 09:19 PM (CMT)

Ruth,

Yikes! That was my worst nightmare- I had a colonoscopy a few months ago, and had to fast for almost 2 days since it was scheduled to be done in the late afternoon!

Usually skipping meals is a huge trigger for me, but I somehow managed to escape a migraine UNTIL after the procedure, and then I got one that night.

I know there are certain things you can't take, like any aspirin products, because of the possibility of bleeding I think.

Is there any way you can call someone- a doctor on call perhaps? It might be safe to do, but I know I'd worry too if I didn't know for sure it would be OK.

I wish I had an exact answer for you- I know it's a tough situation to be in.

Perhaps someone else may know more about it.

I hope you don't get a migraine, or at least you can abort it with something.

Good Luck- I hope you feel better soon.

Jen

annabelle Click to EMail annabelleClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-13-06, 09:22 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines"
ruth before i ask my contacts could you please tell me the name of the preparation they gave you to take to clear your bowel??

regards

annabelle

SimonaSays Click to EMail SimonaSaysClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-13-06, 09:44 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines"
when i had my colonoscopy i took an imitrex that morning not eating gives me killer migraines. I didnt tell my doctor though! the results came out ok...the doctor didnt mention anything...

Simona

annabelle Click to EMail annabelleClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-13-06, 10:03 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines"
ruth - i got back a reasounding yes - you can take your triptans but if it is in tablet form it will most likely not be absorbed as well as normal because your bowel is in a state of rapid movement. a nasal spray would be preferable if you have one. you will most likely have to take your triptan tablet and another again in an hour if you have no relief.

it does not matter what type of bowel prep you take - i only asked that in case it was important when i was asking advice for you. the bowel preps they use in america are the ones used here in australia - we import them from the usa.

my medico's are suggesting that you also have a special drink to keep your electrolyte balance in check - you can make your own by adding 1/4 teasp salt to 1/4 teasp sugar into 100ml glass of warm-cool water, add the sugar and salt into an empty glass - add a little hot water to dissolve and fill will cooler water - just have this when you wake and a few hours later - if it works into your time line.

your electrolyte balance can get all messed up when your bowel works rapidly and can aggravate a migraine or a blistering headache

you can also buy electrolyte drinks - they are usually brightly coloured sports drinks. so do whatever suits you. so keep up these drinks for a day or so after your colonoscopy just to protect yourself - they cant hurt you so why risk it?

take care and hope all goes well.

regards

annabelle

Billy Ray Click to EMail Billy RayClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-14-06, 00:44 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines"
Wishing you well. I was told I could take my meds up to midnight. And yes only clear liquids after you do the prep. I found that mixing the prep with grape juice works best and really kills that bad taste.

I had one a few months ago -- it was around my 15th one. My problem is when I do not eat it triggers a headache. I pray it goes good for you. My worst part was always the prep and my migraine.

But when they put you under the meds should help alittle with the pain. My first 4 or 5 colonoscopies they gave me just enough meds to relax me and I was awake for the entire test.

The Dr. let me watch the screen and showed me what all he saw. My first one he was talking along then his tone changed when as I found out later he saw that I had cancer. But it was one spot and he clipped it out during my test.

Take care Ruth. Billy and Liliana

MM Click to EMail MMClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-14-06, 09:07 AM (CMT)
6. "RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines"
Best of luck with your "lovely" procedure, Ruth!
I was supposed to have it done when I was 50. Here I am, nearly 57 and am still finding excuses to put it off.

Keep us posted.
Hugs...
MM

ruth Click to EMail ruthClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-14-06, 02:42 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Colonoscopy and Migraines"
Thankyou all so much for your helpful advice and information, I will remember in case I have it done again.

My head got so bad last night that I had to go to bed before I could read the responses here. I had a dreadful night, what with the excruciating migraine pain and having to go to the loo every half hour or so!

By the time I got to the hospital the migraine took away any nerves as that's all I could think about.

The medical staff were super and one nurse came over to me and said 'you have a migraine, come on, I'm taking you in to get some meds into you'.

When I got in the procedure room the nurse told the doctor about the migraine and he smiled and said 'we'll get rid of that for you'. Then I heard him tell the nurse to 'give her 350' which I assume was to do with the medication. As soon as she put it in the i.v. I was out like a light.

It's wonderful to be able to sleep through this procedure now and when I woke up half hour later my head had eased up enough that I felt comfortable.

The test showed no abnormalities which I am thankful for, but still wondering what all the discomfort is that I have.

I think they gave me Fentanyl with the sedative.

Thanks again everyone!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.