Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Toradol injections at home"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

joanr Click to EMail joanrClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-20-06, 11:07 AM (CMT)
"Toradol injections at home"
I saw my neuro yesterday, and since I'm not happy with the "woo hoo" feeling that Stadol gives me (even though it does keep me out of the ER) he wrote me a script for Toradol injections that I can give myself.

This sounds like an excellent solution to me, since that's what I get at the ER. I'm a little concerned about being able to give myself the injection. Not due to eebie jeebies, but because my vision is often so funky during a migraine I'm not sure I'll be able to read directions. My husband said he won't be able to do it (with him it IS the eebie jeebie factor).

Has anyone else used Toradol IM and is it difficult to do?

Table of contents

RE: Toradol injections at home, willow21, Dec-20-06, (1)
RE: Toradol injections at home, loaconstrictor, Dec-20-06, (2)
RE: Toradol injections at home, sooz, Dec-20-06, (3)
RE: Toradol injections at home, cinjan@bitstream.net, Dec-20-06, (4)
RE: Toradol injections at home, AZgirl, Dec-20-06, (5)
How do you get the Doc to give you ..., mom2mcar, Dec-20-06, (6)
RE: How do you get the Doc to give ..., loaconstrictor, Dec-21-06, (8)
RE: Toradol injections at home, joanr, Dec-21-06, (7)
RE: Toradol injections at home, eskeen, Dec-21-06, (9)
RE: Toradol injections at home, mom2mcar, Dec-21-06, (10)
RE: Toradol injections at home, joanr, Dec-26-06, (11)
RE: Toradol injections at home, honeyb, Dec-26-06, (12)
RE: Toradol injections at home, lrobb98, Dec-26-06, (13)
RE: Toradol injections at home, joanr, Dec-27-06, (14)
RE: Toradol injections at home, AZgirl, Dec-28-06, (15)
RE: Toradol injections at home, mom2mcar, Dec-29-06, (16)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

willow21 Click to EMail willow21Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-20-06, 12:06 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Hi,

I would ask the nurse at your doctor's office to show you the correct way to give yourself the injection. There is a certain way to do it.

Call your doctor's office and see if a nurse could teach you how to inject yourself properly.

They give me Toradol at my neuro's office and it helps to abort the migraine.

Hope it helps you.

Take Care,
Willow

loaconstrictor Click to EMail loaconstrictorClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-20-06, 12:26 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
I agree with Willow... when I began to give myself DHE injections at home, the pharmacist shoed me how when I picked up the supplies....

I then taught my boyfriend, because he usually ends up giving them to me.

Also, I made sure to read the directions and do some "dry practice" runs (not actully stabbing myself or prepping the needle, but going through the motions) when I was well, so that I didn't have to worry about trying to focus on the directions in the midst of a migraine.

I never had a problem, and neither did my boyfriend.

~Liz

sooz Click to EMail soozClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-20-06, 04:11 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
I have used toradol injections at home for years. My husband gets the eebie jeebies too!

I usually give myself the shot in my rear, but you can also do it in the big muscle in your thigh. The good thing about this is that you can sit down and be a little more stable. This is particularily good because the medicine itself stings like you wouldn't believe.

So, ask your doc about this option. It may help.

"Your big picture is made up of lots of little ones"

cinjan@bitstream.net Click to EMail cinjan@bitstream.netClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-20-06, 06:11 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Joan,

I have done both Toradol and DHE injections at home. My recollection is that the injections themselves were no big deal, but that drawing up the medicine was a little tricky, sometimes, in the midst of a migraine.

They were glass vials, I remember, and I was always worried I was going to drop them, because I would be so shaky.

But certainly, if it's a helpful intervention for you, VERY worthwhile to learn how to do it yourself. Good for you, and good for your doc giving you the chance.

Best wishes,

Cindy

AZgirl Click to EMail AZgirlClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-20-06, 06:49 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
I echo Cindy's info. I do toradol and DHE shots. I give them in my thigh. After a few times getting it all ready, I found a routine. Also, I keep all the necessary supplies together in one Tupperware container in the bathroom closet. I make up a "kit" once my supplies appear to run low.

You may consider having a little kit with the following:

alcohol wipes in foil packets (check with your drug store, they are cheap, like $2-$3 for 100 packets)

Cotton balls (for applying pressure before you place a bandaid)

Band aids

Enough needles and syringes for 4 or 5 injections

The little vials of the medicine, ready to be cracked open.

Still sending rays of sunshine from the desert,

Lynelle

mom2mcar Click to EMail mom2mcarClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-20-06, 10:06 PM (CMT)
6. "How do you get the Doc to give you Toradol for @ home?"
I just talked to the pharmacist here on base and he told me that he has never heard of prescribing at home injections of this. Should I just ask my Doc when she gets back?

Jessie

loaconstrictor Click to EMail loaconstrictorClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-21-06, 10:15 AM (CMT)
8. "RE: How do you get the Doc to give you Toradol for @ home?"
Definately talk to the doc if the pharmacist isn't any help.

Also, keep in mind that there SHOULD be instructions on the literature the comes with the little vials of medication....

And I, like another poster, also keep my injecttables in a little container with all of my supplies needed.... it just makes everything easier, so I'm not in the midst of an attack, trying to find supplies, or having my boyfriend do so.

It also makes it easier for me to do inventory control!

~Liz

joanr Click to EMail joanrClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-21-06, 09:48 AM (CMT)
7. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Jessie,

I asked my neuro about Toradol since that's what I get in the ER. I had actually inquired about them in pill form (I didn't know I could get it in injection at home either). I had taken that in the past for lower back problems. He said "That's an excellent suggestion and I can do you one better and give you injections you can give yourself so you don't vomit up the pills".

This came on the heels of discussing that I didn't like the "woo hoo" feeling that Stadol gave me.

He also said the Zanaflex was a good suggestion (thanks Ronda friends for that one!) but that we should try one thing at a time to see what works and what doesn't.

Joan

eskeen Click to EMail eskeenClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-21-06, 12:27 PM (CMT)
9. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Just wanted to say good luck with the Toradol injections!

I've never had them; just had one injection of it--and that was last year before my first brain surgery (it was in the ER for a shunt-related visit..). I remember it worked great though!

My BIL got the tabs back in Feb. when he had what was diagnosed as IBS, along with something else..he'd also received the injection in the ER (the tabs were rx'd from his PCP though). He still has about 3 tabs left, and my sister wanted to give him one/some because she was frustrated with him a few days ago because he was being mean (he'd been out of his Cymbalta for 5 days, and that day was the day I wound up going to get it for him/them..).

She wound up giving him children's Bendaryl (liquid) just to knock him out--LOL! Ugh. I'd told her, though, I didn't feel it was safe to let him have a pain medication since he wasn't in pain/just to take it to make him go to sleep--geezz!

The Zanaflex's a Godsend! I'm looking into asking for the brandname, as the generic's not doing anything for me anymore..oh well. Maybe that was bound to happen..(?). I've been taking it since May 2005, which was when my migraines were diagnosed.

We shall see though..I guess I'll see the neuro resident sometime soon (before the first of the year, that's what I'm hoping for anyway..considering school's always a conflict--but she's always worked with me..). Or she may suggest something entirely different as a rescue (which I'm a little fearful of..(!)). I liked the generic Zanaflex, since I had the 4 mg tabs and could take as much, or as little as I needed; even for the non-migrainous HAs.

I'd still be able to knock 'em down to a 'functioning level', and be able to do what I needed to here at school, if need be..ya know? AHH!

Hugs to all, and best wishes! Happy Holidays to all who celebrate!

Erin

mom2mcar Click to EMail mom2mcarClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-21-06, 11:51 PM (CMT)
10. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Liz and Joan,

Thanks!

I didn't think that Toradol came in pill form. All I have ever had was the shot at either the clinic or ER.

I will definetly ask next time I see my Dr.

Lately my Fiorecet and Imitrex haven't been very good a kicking anything.

Jessie

joanr Click to EMail joanrClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-26-06, 08:47 AM (CMT)
11. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
I've had two injections so far, and all I can say is that if I can find a volunteer to give me the injection in the hind quarters it hurts much less than if I give it to myself in the thigh!

Oh, and the volunteer was not eebie jeebie hubby. When my niece, who is an RN, was showing him how do it, he did not even notice her boyfriend (who's an EMT) standing a foot and a half away from her. After the shot was given my hubby said "Justin, when did you get here?" He had been standing there the whole time. Justin is 6'6". LOL TUNNEL VISION!

honeyb Click to EMail honeybClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-26-06, 06:02 PM (CMT)
12. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
I use the toradol injections, and love them and my dotor! Mine come in 10 pre-filled syringes per box. Very easy to use.

lrobb98 Click to EMail lrobb98Click to check IP address of the poster Dec-26-06, 10:30 PM (CMT)
13. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Ketorolac(Toradol) injections are pretty effective, and can be combined with pain meds or triptans....and it is non-sedating..if people are willing to learn to give themselves an injection, this is a pretty good way to go, for some...L.Robbins,M.D. http://www.headachedrugs.com

joanr Click to EMail joanrClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-27-06, 08:24 AM (CMT)
14. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Both injections I had at home gave me immediate relief and I didn't have to use any other drugs. Both headaches were at a 9 scale.

Thanks HoneyB for telling me about the pre-filled syringes. That would make the whole process much easier. I'd rather pay more than mess with syringes when my vision is screwed up.

Joan

AZgirl Click to EMail AZgirlClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-28-06, 04:39 PM (CMT)
15. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Glad to hear they are working out for you.

Still sending rays of sunshine from the desert,

Lynelle

mom2mcar Click to EMail mom2mcarClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-29-06, 08:59 PM (CMT)
16. "RE: Toradol injections at home"
Dr. Robbins,

Thank you for the advice. I will ask my PCM when she comes back from her TDY ( sorry-military acronyms) about the torodal. Whenever I need to go in to break an M this is what I ask for as it seems to be the most effective since narc's usually don't work well for me.

Jessie

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.