Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"multiple auras"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

ksf2030 Click to EMail ksf2030Click to check IP address of the poster Jun-28-07, 08:06 AM (CMT)
"multiple auras"
Hello,
Does anyone get multiple auras in a day? I have had migraines on and off for years. I am 44 years old. I had an episode of auras 2 months ago--vision (flashing lights, zig zags lasting up tp 1/2 hour) I had them several days in a row. Then, none for 2 months. Yesterday, I had the aura two different times(opposite sides of my vsion, but both eyes). After the first one I got a slight headache. The second one I did not seem to get a headache. The only other time I had multiple auras is when I was pregnant. Maybe my hormones are changing. Are multiple auras all the same migraine? Any suggestions?

Table of contents

RE: multiple auras, lesherb1, Jun-28-07, (1)
RE: multiple auras, ksf2030, Jun-28-07, (2)
RE: multiple auras, alli, Jun-28-07, (3)
RE: multiple auras, lesherb1, Jun-28-07, (4)
RE: multiple auras, ksf2030, Jun-29-07, (5)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

lesherb1 Click to EMail lesherb1Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jun-28-07, 08:42 AM (CMT)
1. "RE: multiple auras"
Have you been checked for PFO? That is the first thing my doctor checks with aura.

Łeslie

ksf2030 Click to EMail ksf2030Click to check IP address of the poster Jun-28-07, 08:51 AM (CMT)
2. "RE: multiple auras"
LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-07 AT 12:59 PM (CMT)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-07 AT 09:05 AM (CMT)

Please explain PFO? I have had auras since I have been 12. I had a CT scan and MRI when I was about 34. I have also had several ECHO's. The last one probably early 30's. I seem to get them in cycles-then I can go several years without them. I think it is hormone related. Three of my children get migraines also--with auras.

alli Click to EMail alliClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jun-28-07, 09:41 AM (CMT)
3. "RE: multiple auras"
I occasionally get multiple auras with the same migraine. It's truly annoying. I also have retinal migraines. I have small repeated auras that don't necessarily lead to a migraine, but it gives me pause while I wait to see if it's going to get worse.

If it concerns you, check with your doctor. Anytime your symptoms change, it's a good idea to check to make sure it's not something to worry about.

Alli
Life is short. Live each day to the fullest.

lesherb1 Click to EMail lesherb1Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jun-28-07, 10:21 AM (CMT)
4. "RE: multiple auras"
This will explain PFO:

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/disease/congenital/pfo.htm

It is suspected that debris that crosses from one side of the heart to the other side (through the hole) can go directly to the brain. This is where it causes an aura. Doctors are concerned about it because it can also cause a stroke.

A TEE can alert your doctor if you have this condition. TEE stands for Transesophageal echocardiogram. Here is a link to explain it:

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/tests/ultrasound/tee.htm

If the doctor determines you do have this anomaly (25% of all people have it....it is something we are born with which is supposed to correct itself as we grow) you can have it addressed.

There is an apparatus which can be snaked into your heart and opened up like an umbrella to close the hole.

I have had the TEE done while unconscious. It can also be done under sedation but not completely out cold. I am glad I was out cold. It's not painful, per se, it is just uncomfortable.

Łeslie

ksf2030 Click to EMail ksf2030Click to check IP address of the poster Jun-29-07, 06:56 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: multiple auras"
Thanks. I had a regular echo. Hopefully, that would of at least showed a little glitch.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.