Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

kimsmom Click to EMail kimsmomClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-03-07, 07:00 PM (CMT)
"side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
I hurt my back and the doctor wants me to take the Medrol Dose Pak. I have taken it before(for other reasons) and had horrible insommnia. I was up all night!

What side effects has anyone had when they have taken Medrol dose pak? I know I have read that some of you have taken it for your migraines.

Has it helped the migraine? I get CDH so I have a headache/migraine everyday.

I also got a muscle relaxer and the doctor said that should put me to sleep.

After reading about all the side effects I wish I could skip this medication.

Any thoughts?

kimsmom

Table of contents

RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, shelllauren, Oct-03-07, (1)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, Norma, Oct-04-07, (2)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, cinjan@bitstream.net, Oct-04-07, (3)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, RollTide, Oct-04-07, (4)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, daniellenbella, Oct-04-07, (5)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, mjacob, Oct-04-07, (6)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, kimsmom, Oct-08-07, (7)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, LTAYLOR, Oct-08-07, (8)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, kimsmom, Oct-08-07, (9)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, daniellenbella, Oct-09-07, (10)
RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak, LTAYLOR, Oct-09-07, (11)
Kenalog-DON'T USE THIS STEROID! ..., kathy, Oct-10-07, (12)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

shelllauren Click to EMail shelllaurenClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-03-07, 08:17 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
I love the Medrol Dose Pak. I don't take the pills spread out through the day though; I take them all in the morning so I won't have trouble sleeping. Check with your doctor first but that is what my doctor has told me in the past.

It is a rescue med for me when nothing else is working. I am grateful for it and get very energized. I have gotten unusually angry when I have been on it before but I realized it was a side effect and didn't let it get to me or to those I love.

It always helps me clean my house, lol.

I hope it helps you too.
Shelly

Norma Click to EMail NormaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-04-07, 06:49 AM (CMT)
2. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
I have used it 3 different times in 10 years, when I am going on a vacation and will be outdoors alot. I have an outrageous sensitivity to bright light as a migraine trigger, and the medrol helps mediate that a little.

Negative effects are insomnia, increased appetite, and after a few days I am feeling a little irritable. On the other hand, It seems to give me energy and an overall sense of well-being. I would use it all the time if prednisone did not have such nasty long term side effects.

I have known a very few people to have a pronounced reaction to it and get really crazy, but that is rare. As far as helping CDH, you might get relief for a few days, but I would not anticipate any long term benefit.

Norma

cinjan@bitstream.net Click to EMail cinjan@bitstream.netClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-04-07, 07:20 AM (CMT)
3. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
Ditto Shelly's post for me.

I take them all in the morning. Being aware of the anger issue helps me not to take it out on people around me (I hope!).

I kind of worry about effects on my heart, I have taken so many rounds over the years. But it is really helpful for me in breaking a bad cycle.

At this point I actually need to take a double pack to do the job, and my neuro is willing to prescribe that for me.

And yes, I would imagine adding a muscle relaxant into the mix would help with sleep.

Best of luck,

Cindy

RollTide Click to EMail RollTideClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-04-07, 07:53 AM (CMT)
4. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
I have taken them several times in the past. A dose pack always, always broke my migraine cycle.

But - it did not matter to my body if I spread the pills out, or took them all at once, I *always* had terrible insomnia while on the dose pack. But it was a small price to pay to break a long migraine cycle.

The only other side effect I had was fluid retention. I would retain the fluid during the day, and then would have to pee literally about 8 times at night, and it would seem to be a gallon every time. I usually had to go once an hour or so. That probably contributed to the insomnia!

RT

daniellenbella Click to EMail daniellenbellaClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-04-07, 09:15 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
I have taken it twice and it helped break the cycle the first time, but didn't work as well the second time.

The first time I did OK with it, but the second time I did get irritable, super depressed and kinda crazy. But I do have a history of problems in that area so I think it made it surface. I was fine after the dosages started tapering down.

I do still think it's worth a try.
Danielle

mjacob Click to EMail mjacobClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-04-07, 01:39 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
I have taken it multiple times for migraine and for my asthma. I dont' recall the insomnia nor anger issues. I do remember the appetite and energy though.

Maybe that is what I need right now!

Pain has an element of blank;
It cannot recollect when it begun,
Or if there were a day it was not.....Emily Dickinson

kimsmom Click to EMail kimsmomClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-08-07, 09:38 AM (CMT)
7. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
Thank you everyone for your replys. I just stated the dose pak today. I took all six at one time. I just hope I can sleep tonight.

I also warned my husband that I may be a bit angry according to my migraine friends here at Ronda's. I will be glad when I am done with the pak.

Kimsmom

LTAYLOR Click to EMail LTAYLORClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-08-07, 10:03 AM (CMT)
8. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
Anyone who takes corticosteriods on a frequent basis (ie., asthma sufferers) should be sure to check their bone density as it can affect this. Just an FYI - infrequent users should not have an issue.

As some of the other posters suggested it can affect your "mental well-being" The prescriptions used to come with a warning to advise another responsible adult in the home or nearby that you were beginning this medication so if you did have the rare extreme psychosis you could stop the medication and seek treatment.

I don't think it says this anymore as my last RX did not. Just about everyone I know is pretty darn crabby on it but thankfully it does not last long. One thing I do when on them is crave carbs of any kind even in the middle of the night!!

I have not had as much success with them for migraine after the first few times but I did have to take them for bronchitis and it gave me whopper headaches for 5 days not migraines but really bad whole head headaches...not the way I wanted to go! Here's hoping you have success!! Peace, L

kimsmom Click to EMail kimsmomClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-08-07, 05:00 PM (CMT)
9. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
WOW, Lynn thank you for the heads-up. I was just going to post about the medrol dose pak giving you a whopper of a headache. I surly have one! I am wondering if it is the dose pak or just coinincidence.

Did you continue taking the dose pak even though you were having bad headaches? Should I continue? I guess I will tomorrow just in case this is random. But I have a feeling I will be having bad headaches for six days...

I knew I did not want to take this. The doctor said that if I did not take the pills she would give me a shot of steroids in my back. This did not sound inviting.

I also find I am getting impatient and mad. At least I know why thanks to all of you who answered my post.

Thanks again.

kimsmom

daniellenbella Click to EMail daniellenbellaClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-09-07, 08:32 AM (CMT)
10. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
I don't think you are supposed to just stop taking the pack once started. You have to taper down b/c of side effects. If you want to stop, call your doc first just to be safe.

Sorry you are having a headache w/it and mood problems.

Danielle

LTAYLOR Click to EMail LTAYLORClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-09-07, 11:24 AM (CMT)
11. "RE: side effects of Medrol Dose Pak"
Yep - that is why I really can't take them any longer unless it is absolutely the last resort. I would have gone for the shot!

The last time it was RX'd for bronchitis and I suffered through the pain but had to take lots of pain meds to get through it. I have stopped mid-pack with no problems but I don't recommend you do that without a doc's ok.

If you decide to continue them perhaps you can get some pain meds if you don't already have them. I see a pain mgmt doc and everytime I have had to let him know I used more than usual during that time. He is great about it! Peace, L

kathy Click to EMail kathyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Oct-10-07, 10:24 AM (CMT)
12. "Kenalog-DON'T USE THIS STEROID! Bad news!"
LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-07 AT 10:27 AM (CMT)

I am finishing a dose pack today. I am a severe sjogrens patient so I have been on steroids pretty much all the time for years. Mostly by inj. I haven't had any since May and am in severe back and joint pain so I got a dose pack the other day. It has quieted my head a little also.They have never helped my active migraines though.

There are hundreds of side affects form steroids.But you have to use them continuously. The major one is joint destruction. Very rare. Any steroid can destroy the joint. My friend with MS has 4 artificial joints, shoulders and hips from years of steroids.This is extreme and took 10 years of constant oral med doses of 5-20 mg a day.

My biggest problem is bruising and petechiae. An ortho surgeon gave me a big shot of Kenalog in my knee and I am still slightly bleeding into my skin. I would have spontaneous massive bruising and my arms were covered with tiny pin point bruises. This was new with me so I had to see a hemotologist and get extensive testing.If I had blood drawn I would bleed into the site for days. This is only with Kenalog. It will take a year to recover.I had to put off my knee surgery for 3 months til I stopped the heavy bleeding.

Don't use Kenalog!! It is bad news. There is a web site about it.

The odds are you will feel so much better with a dose pack. It is very low dose and I think you will benefit.

Also you will crave carbs.I can't get enough pepsi on a dose pack. The body doesn't handle carbs well for about 3 months so if you have a urinalysis you will look severely diabetic but that goes away.

Go for it.
Don't stop mid pack because the dose pack overrides your body and you could have big problems just stopping. That's why it is a dose pack to taper you off.

I do have osteoporosis but probably form Lupron.
kathy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.