Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

KAT1234 Click to EMail KAT1234Click to check IP address of the poster Jan-22-08, 08:17 AM (CMT)
"ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
Hello-
I have been a migraine sufferer for years. I am at the end of my rope, and am willing to try anything. The neurologist has given me a lot of things none work. My next appointment is not until a month. If things have not got better I will be prescribed Topomax….So my question is has anyone ever used any herbs, products on web, vitamins’ tried Vitamin b ,but no success. It really scares me how many aspirin, Excedrin or any pain medicine I can take, and still have no relief. People think I am nuts, but they just do not understand how horrible living life in pain is. Please let me know of anything that might work.
Thanks

Table of contents

RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., linds123, Jan-22-08, (1)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., Chinookgrl, Jan-22-08, (2)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., KAT1234, Jan-22-08, (3)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., charmed quark, Jan-22-08, (4)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., sailing muffin, Jan-22-08, (5)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., bc, Jan-22-08, (6)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., Bahman, Jan-22-08, (7)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., thetsarisa, Jan-23-08, (8)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., nadiaikr, Jan-23-08, (9)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., bc, Jan-23-08, (10)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., mishkyn, Jan-23-08, (12)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., Bahman, Jan-23-08, (11)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., bc, Jan-23-08, (13)
RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK?..., lrobb98, Jan-23-08, (14)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

linds123 Click to EMail linds123Click to check IP address of the poster Jan-22-08, 09:42 AM (CMT)
1. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
Hey there, so sorry to hear that you're suffering. This pain we go through and still live through every minute of it shows how strong we are and that we are getting through extremely tough times, just remember how strong you are!!

One of the many times I was at the ER for my head, the doctor came over to talk to me. He asked me if I ever tried taking a magnesium sulfite ( i think its sulfite) supplement. I never had and he told me that it is supposed to help migraines, but of course its always a try and see option. I have also heard of the herb "feverfew", its supposed to be good for migraines and as effective as preventing them as amitriptyline.

Dont worry about what people think about your headaches and taking medicine. No one can understand what you are going through unless they are too. I too am disgusted with how much medicine I have to take for my head, none works for me either.

I'm not sure if maybe using heat or cold helps you. Heat helps me get through the pain, I just put the kettle on and boil some water and put it in my hot water bottle, and wrap it up because its so hot. It does help a bit, but be careful with it. When I was going through an extreme bout of pain, I was given some percocet. It numbed me and made me so high that I had no idea how hot my water bottle was and burnt the side of my face so bad. It was almost four weeks ago and I still have faded imprints of the water bottle on my face. God the stuff we go through for our heads!!!! Anyways, even tho I did hurt myself, Im more careful of it now.

Hang in there and I hope you can find something to help you with your pain! It's not fair, but I think its happening to us to show us how friggen strong we are and can get through alot! My family is always so shocked that I actually get through this pain minute by minute. Good luck to you!!

-Linds

Chinookgrl Click to EMail ChinookgrlClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-22-08, 10:36 AM (CMT)
2. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
There are a few threads on here about cayenne. I have taken it with some success, though I am in a slump now.

But there are a few on here including myself that can use cayenne at the onset of a migraine and it keeps it at bay.

If you do a search with the word cayenne you will find more info.

Jo

KAT1234 Click to EMail KAT1234Click to check IP address of the poster Jan-22-08, 11:01 AM (CMT)
3. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
Thanks..I am going to try to pick them up at walgreens.

charmed quark Click to EMail charmed quarkClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-22-08, 02:23 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
I've been hearing a lot of buzz about taking a combination of coQ10, magnesium and riboflavin. My neurologist has recommended this to me. See http://www.bastyrcenter.org/content/view/430/

I have tried the drugs individually without much success. I haven't tried them together.

sailing muffin Click to EMail sailing muffinClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-22-08, 07:24 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
Hi,

I have been dealing with migraines since age 17, now 27. I've tried a ton of preventatives and abortives for migraine.

One question- does your dr have any ideas other than topamax? Also, it sounds like you are having a really rough time is there anyway you could see if you could get in sooner? Or at least get something to break the headache like a course of steroids?

As to herbal stuff= B-complex has helped me some.
The only other herbal thing that really helps me is ginger. You can just put the ground ginger (the kind from the grocery store) in sprite. I also love crystillized ginger or ginger beer- basically really strong ginger aler- you should be able to find it easily at whole foods or world market.

hope this helps.
pain free days
sailingm

bc Click to EMail bcClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-22-08, 10:12 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
Hello, I understand being at the end of your rope. After 30 years of migraines (almost 24/7 at my worst point) I gave up on going to Drs. and tried all the natural things I could.

I won't bore everyone with my long story again but if you go to the "search" feature and type in the words "apple cider vinegar" and change it to look in the last month you will see two threads in which I posted my success with a very limited diet (actually that was in some older posts I think) and then even greater success with apple cider vinegar (they unprocessed kind that you get at a health food store).

I have now gone close to 2 months with only two migraines. That is down from an almost constant migraine a couple of years ago. It is really approaching the unbelievable point for me. I am just about the happiest person you could imagine. I have so much of my life back.

I'm sure many people will have great suggestions. I know lots have tried the cayenne. Good luck!! Take care, Beth

Bahman Click to EMail BahmanClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-22-08, 11:19 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
I am so glad for you Beth. I am also curious of how much of your success do you contribute to diet and how much to ACV?

thetsarisa Click to EMail thetsarisaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-23-08, 06:24 AM (CMT)
8. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
Have you tried Botox?
It's not a miracle cure and not for everyone but if it would reduce your episodes in half or even just in severity, I think it would be worth the money...?

Risa

Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

nadiaikr Click to EMail nadiaikrClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-23-08, 09:36 AM (CMT)
9. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
I tried migramine from someone in this forum for free and it stop my migraine. So I bought a bottle last week and me and my sister share it. When I order it it came in two days. I believe it have herbs, I can not be presecribe imetrex because it make my chest tight.
Nadia

bc Click to EMail bcClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-23-08, 11:19 AM (CMT)
10. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-08 AT 11:24 AM (CMT)

Hello Bahman, You asked what % I attribute to diet and what % to the apple cider vinegar (ACV)-

If I go back to a couple of years ago when I had about 4+ migraines a week (or kind of one continuous one) and then I started an elimination diet and ended up now eating only about 25 items (which even includes salt, some spices, oil, butter) I would say they cut down to about 1 every week to 1 every week and a half. Then now with the ACV I have had about 2 in about 2 months. (Again, everything I have read recommends using the raw, unfiltered type of ACV that you get at a health food store)

I know 1 maybe both of those 2 were due to my menstrual cycle. The ACV didn't get rid of that one. I had posted before that I never get just a one day migraine so even if I have had only 2 in 2 months, each lasted from 2-3 days.

The amazing part is that when I feel a migraine or (just a regular headache - don't get too many of those) starting and I take the ACV/honey/hot water mixture it always goes away (except for the menstrual ones).

I have had quite a few start lately because I have been pushing the envelope and trying to add a few things back into my diet. My head is saying no but the ACV takes it away so I consider that kind of a cheat snack but don't plan to add it back into my diet.

I still feel like it is too good to be true but this is going on for almost 2 months now (nothing close ever happened in 30 yrs) and becoming undeniable so I'm starting to get excited at the prospect of having a more normal life but I plan on keeping on the very restricted diet.

After sooo many years of doctors, neuros, headache clinics, medicines, missing out on life, my kids, etc. it is so amazing that something so easy was right in front of me but I'm enjoying it and not dwelling on the past.

I would imagine that each natural remedy only work for migraines which originate from certain things but I have tried most of the other "natural" type remedies before with absolutely no success.

I wish you all as many future pain free days as I'm having.

Take care, Beth

mishkyn Click to EMail mishkynClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-23-08, 07:22 PM (CMT)
12. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
Dear Kati,
I may be stating the obvious, but I had horrible rebound pain from taking excedrin every day.

It may not be the total cause, but if you are taking certain types of pain meds daily--or even several times a week, you may be experiencing rebound headaches, which are very very common.

Anyway, something to consider,
Mishkyn

Bahman Click to EMail BahmanClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-23-08, 06:57 PM (CMT)
11. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
KAT, if you try cayenne please let us know what happens.

Beth, thanks for your explanation.

bc Click to EMail bcClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-23-08, 07:33 PM (CMT)
13. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
I probably mentioned this before but I found out that I get rebound headaches from almost all OTC and prescription meds that I was taking. My doctor said this was probably not likely but I narrowed things down so much and learned to be so in tune with my body that I know it was entirely possible.

I would even get a rebound headache from something as simple as Sudafed that I was taking for a week. I could tell the difference as these headaches were not at all like my migraines.

Just something to consider when thinking about rebound headaches.

Take care, Beth

lrobb98 Click to EMail lrobb98Click to check IP address of the poster Jan-23-08, 07:53 PM (CMT)
14. "RE: ANY HERB OR HOME REMEDIES WORK???"
I think that Petadolea safer from of Butterbur) has well-done studies, and good evidence that it is as effective as almost any headache preventive drug.....you do have to take it daily, and it takes awhile to take effect. L.Robbins,M.D.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.