Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Topamax-best time of day to take?"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

britt1234 Click to EMail britt1234Click to check IP address of the poster Jan-24-08, 01:10 PM (CMT)
"Topamax-best time of day to take?"
Hello! After 3 months Inderal LA stopped working for me, so went to Dr today and decided to give Topamax a try. I'm starting at 12.5 mg/day for the first week. My question is, what is the best time of day to take Topamax? Or does it matter?

Thanks!
Britt

Table of contents

Topamax, nikkisaunt, Jan-24-08, (1)
RE: Topamax, britt1234, Jan-24-08, (2)
RE: Topamax, svirfnebli, Jan-25-08, (4)
RE: Topamax-best time of day to tak..., svirfnebli, Jan-24-08, (3)
RE: Topamax-best time of day to tak..., Jana, Jan-25-08, (5)
RE: Topamax-best time of day to tak..., britt1234, Jan-25-08, (6)
RE: Topamax-best time of day to tak..., trojangirl, Jan-29-08, (7)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

nikkisaunt Click to EMail nikkisauntClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-24-08, 01:15 PM (CMT)
1. "Topamax"
My doctor has me taking my topamax about an hour before bedtime. I think that taking it then really does help with the daytime sleepiness (being tired is a side effect) that can occur.

However, you might want to ask your neuro what he or she thinks is best for you.

britt1234 Click to EMail britt1234Click to check IP address of the poster Jan-24-08, 04:52 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Topamax"
Thanks for your reply. I just talked to my neuro and he feels that taking it at night is the best way to go.

Thanks again!

svirfnebli Click to EMail svirfnebliClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-25-08, 00:01 AM (CMT)
4. "RE: Topamax"
>My doctor has me taking my
>topamax about an hour before
>bedtime. I think that taking
>it then really does help
>with the daytime sleepiness (being
>tired is a side effect)
>that can occur.
>
>However, you might want to ask
>your neuro what he or
>she thinks is best for
>you.

I read this as a common side effect but I dont get this as all. I actually thought as I was titrating up that it was creating some anxiety which was keeping me awake but it seems to have settled.

svirf

svirfnebli Click to EMail svirfnebliClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-24-08, 11:59 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Topamax-best time of day to take?"
very good move going with the reduced increase. At 12.5 a day for a week, you'll probably notice almost no side effects. I did the same... increased at half the rate as was indicated on the package because I know from experience that I am sensitive to this "sort" of medications. at 12.5 I had only two very mild side effects which im afraid are unavoidable .. Soda (particularly pepsi and coke) doesnt taste as good, and occasionally it feels like your toes fall asleep ( but they wake up after a few mins).

I started with 12.5 in the evening, then added 12.5 in the morn. Then 12.5 in the morn and 25 and night, then 25 in the morn and 25 and night. .. you get the idea :>

svirf

Jana Click to EMail JanaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-25-08, 01:04 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: Topamax-best time of day to take?"
I also did not get sleepy when I started topamax. The first few days I couldn't sleep so my doctor switched me to taking a morning dose.

Things smoothed out some in the second week when I split the dose up so maybe it was just a beginning reaction for me.

I also found that when I took the split dose, my mood stabilized much more. The weeks where I had a greater dose for my first dose, I just felt "wrong". It may have been all in my head though.

britt1234 Click to EMail britt1234Click to check IP address of the poster Jan-25-08, 03:06 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: Topamax-best time of day to take?"
Thanks all for your replies.

svirf - I too am very sensitive to these types of meds..actually just meds in general so it's encouraging to here that this kept you somewhat from experiencing some of the worst side effects. I think I will also take your advice and when I titrate up the 25 mg, do that in a split dose. My doctor didn't mention this but it makes sense.

trojangirl Click to EMail trojangirlClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-29-08, 11:13 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Topamax-best time of day to take?"
I took Topamax and LOVED it. I was a little scared at first from the side effects (forgetting things, numbness etc) but the key to getting rid of the side effects is dosing up SLOWLY. My doctor told me not to dose up to the next level until all my side effects were gone, which was great advice. I split up the dosage between my breakfast and dinner.

Lastly, and not to scare you, but make sure you drink a LOT of water with Topamax. I ended up in the ER a few weeks ago with a kidney stone (I'm only 22!) which the doctors are think is due to the topamax, thus my doctor took me off the topamax, and I am back to my migraines...good luck for you though! =D

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.