Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"general anesthesia stops migraine"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

USAKIWI Click to EMail USAKIWIClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-02-08, 05:54 PM (CMT)
"general anesthesia stops migraine"
someone posted this...does anyone know why or what drug is suspected? I am asking because in NZ one of the very strange things they will try other than long lasting narcotics (and this tx is for acute pain only) is a shot of ketamine, which struck me odd, if you watch House the tv show I believe this is what he was supposedly put under (ketamine induced coma) when he was shot and they go with the story line that it was to stop the chronic pain in his leg as there were trials in Europe that showed it worked, so naturally when I moved to NZ and they said this was for acute attacks (ha ha ha all I was given in the hospital was tramadol with codeine which together made me so so sick with an anti inflammatory put in a puking stomach, I demanded a discharge after 5 days of this) so....just curious if anyone else has ever used this per an MD....

Confused in NZ

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of contents

RE: general anesthesia stops migrai..., Anna's Mom, Mar-02-08, (1)
RE: general anesthesia stops migrai..., Anna's Mom, Mar-02-08, (2)
RE: general anesthesia stops migrai..., lrobb98, Mar-02-08, (3)
RE: general anesthesia stops migrai..., Norma, Mar-03-08, (4)
RE: general anesthesia stops migrai..., Anna's Mom, Mar-03-08, (5)
RE: general anesthesia stops migrai..., alli, Mar-03-08, (6)
RE: general anesthesia stops migrai..., USAKIWI, Mar-03-08, (7)
RE: general anesthesia stops migrai..., crt, Mar-03-08, (8)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

Anna's Mom Click to EMail Anna's MomClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-02-08, 09:21 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: general anesthesia stops migraine"
My daughter gets relief from her head pain with Ketamine. It is a new use for an old med. It is very hard to get here in the U.S. I pray it becomes more available soon.

Do a google search on "Ketamine for RSD" for good articles about Ketamine. RSD is a painful condition, not related to migraine. But much of the Ketamine info on the internet is about using it to treat RSD.

I believe Ketamine for RSD is available in Australia.

I think my daughter is the only person on this forum (so far) who has tried Ketamine for head pain.

Cheryl

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Anna's Mom Click to EMail Anna's MomClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-02-08, 09:23 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: general anesthesia stops migraine"
My daughter gets IV Zofran with the IV Ketamine to control nausea. If she didn't get the IV Zofran, she would get very sick, I'm sure.

Zofran is a strong anti-nausea med here in the U.S.

Cheryl

lrobb98 Click to EMail lrobb98Click to check IP address of the poster Mar-02-08, 10:05 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: general anesthesia stops migraine"
It is true that certain anesthetics sometimes can help headaches, at least for awhile...Propufol is one, Ketamine another...but this is not all that practical, it is expensive, and not entirely safe(but the drugs people take are not entirely safe, either....)...L.Robbins http://www.headachedrugs.com

Norma Click to EMail NormaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-03-08, 05:07 AM (CMT)
4. "RE: general anesthesia stops migraine"
LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-08 AT 05:08 AM (CMT)

I did not know that about propofol. That may explain what happened to me last fall. I had a GYN procedure under propofol/versed sedation. For the next month, I scarcely had a headache. Unfortunately they came back. Makes me want to keep having surgery.

Norma

Anna's Mom Click to EMail Anna's MomClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-03-08, 09:27 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: general anesthesia stops migraine"
Norma, UC tries Propufol infusions on the Chiari patients.

Here is a new RSD treatment center in Tampa that does Ketamine infusions (and a photo of patients receiving Ketamine):

http://www.rsdhealthcare.org/PatientInfo/PatientInfoKirkpatrickResearch.htm

I believe a Ketamine infusion at UC is $500.00. It costs far more in Tampa.

Our ER (small community hospital) is now doing Ketamine infusions for migraine.

Cheryl

alli Click to EMail alliClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-03-08, 01:49 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: general anesthesia stops migraine"
I don't know what they used in my surgeries, but I have had 5, and each time I had NO migraines for about 2 months. When I see the new neurologist I will have to mention this so maybe I can figure out what it is,

Alli

Life is short. Live each day to the fullest.

USAKIWI Click to EMail USAKIWIClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-03-08, 03:55 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: general anesthesia stops migraine"
So insurance does not cover this infusion?
Please advise.
I am desperate here.
Like I said, I am homesick for my neurologist. My poor sweetheart is, I am sure, tired of hearing this. I found out that if I go home before the wedding, I will have a terrible time getting him a greencard to be able to join me. Strangely, NZ will give me residence as his "partner" but tx is so scare. For him, I have to have a marriage cert and the stinker won't just go to the priest and get hitched without the ceremony...told him I'd still try to squeeze in the dress, but since I've gained weight being so sedentary while trying goofy things to desensitize the leg/foot and be still with the migraine, I am soon to be nuts and begging the priest to come to the house and give us the marriage...

crt Click to EMail crtClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-03-08, 05:24 PM (CMT)
8. "RE: general anesthesia stops migraine"
Sometimes how words look play tricks on me. Maybe I'm slightly dyslexic. Anyway now I get it! Your screen name is USA and then KIWI! I kept trying to give it a Japanese pronounciation yousa-kiwi. Duh.

Chris

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.