Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Does flying cause migraines."

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-13-08, 04:54 PM (CMT)
"Does flying cause migraines."
Apologies for splitting this from another thread, but I have had an offer of a free holiday.I have to let them know by the end of the week.
I want to go, but am scared to commit because my migraines are frequent, and I haven't flown since 1992. Who flies please? Does the flight effect your head, and what can be done to help.
thanks.

Table of contents

RE: Does flying cause migraines., dcook60, Jul-13-08, (1)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., pen, Jul-14-08, (6)
I take sudafed BEFORE flight, di, Jul-13-08, (2)
RE: I take sudafed BEFORE flight, LizBeth953, Jul-13-08, (3)
RE: I take sudafed BEFORE flight, Brent, Jul-14-08, (4)
RE: I take sudafed BEFORE flight, kathy, Jul-14-08, (5)
RE: I take sudafed BEFORE flight, lnet, Jul-14-08, (7)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., antonella, Jul-14-08, (8)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., Anna's Mom, Jul-14-08, (9)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., sailingmuffin, Jul-14-08, (10)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., moominamy, Jul-14-08, (11)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., beldame, Jul-14-08, (12)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., beldame, Jul-14-08, (13)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., crt, Jul-14-08, (14)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., pen, Jul-14-08, (15)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., crt, Jul-14-08, (16)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., thetsarisa, Jul-14-08, (17)
I take benadryl,sudafed,tylenol, lnet, Jul-14-08, (18)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., svirfnebli, Jul-14-08, (19)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., thetsarisa, Jul-15-08, (20)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., pen, Jul-15-08, (21)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., LizBeth953, Jul-15-08, (22)
RE: Does flying cause migraines., LTAYLOR, Jul-17-08, (23)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., pen, Jul-17-08, (24)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., LTAYLOR, Jul-18-08, (25)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., pen, Jul-18-08, (26)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., thetsarisa, Jul-18-08, (27)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., pen, Jul-19-08, (28)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., thetsarisa, Jul-19-08, (29)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., pen, Jul-19-08, (30)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., thetsarisa, Jul-19-08, (31)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., BeccaC, Jul-19-08, (32)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., crt, Jul-21-08, (33)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., pen, Jul-22-08, (34)
RE: who has had a migraine actually..., charmed quark, Jul-22-08, (35)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

dcook60 Click to EMail dcook60Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-13-08, 05:13 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
i rarely fly, because i'm too poor to go anywhere! but 3 years ago, i flew across country to new york, to be diagnosed at the chiari institute.

i ALWAYS get a hideous migraine during trips, and this trip was no exception. but on the way home to washington i used my maxalt as a preventive. it did help.

in other words, i took it BEFORE the trip. and then i probably took another one during it. occasionally with maxalt i need the maximum allowable in a 24-hour period, which is 3.

i'm unsure whether you can take triptans, but if you can, please don't miss out on a possible adventure just because of the dratted ol' migraines. dianne

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 05:30 AM (CMT)
6. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
Thank you all . The last time I flew was from England to LAX (oh and back) and i didn't have migraines then, I had IBS..Ha, that was fun.....But I got the ear pressure thing, it hurt for days afterwards, one of my kids got it too it ruined the first 3 days of the holiday.
This would be a short haul, but it has been so long I have totally lost my nerve. I have myofascial pain all the time as well as the migraines and medication doesn't help that.
You have given me some great advice though, thank you all.

di Click to EMail diClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-13-08, 05:21 PM (CMT)
2. "I take sudafed BEFORE flight"
as well as drink a lot of water. I also make sure my meds are in carry on, on my person. All prescription stuff should be in pharmacy labeled containers (if you have a lot of big containers, get your pharmacist to print up smaller containers with labels- that way if they get lost you have not lost a three month supply).

On a flight, being congested can trigger me.

That said, I have flown lots, short and long-haul, and get no more migs than I do on the ground.

If you are going to a high elevation place, plan to take it easy the first few days, but otherwise, go for it!!

IT is a FREE VACATION!!!! (Glad someone gets one this summer)

Enjoy!

LizBeth953 Click to EMail LizBeth953Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-13-08, 09:54 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: I take sudafed BEFORE flight"
Hi there,

You've already been given great advice.

Since this trip is free, I would say go for it!

I fly quite a bit for work and have chronic daily migraine. Sometimes my head gets worse from flying, other times it doesn't. It would not stop me from going on a trip. I say go for it! Here are some trips from a frequent migraineur flyer:

Have plenty of meds with you - in your purse or carry-on, never in your checked luggage. Put them in a bag that you can easily access during the flight under the seat in front of you - not in the carry on roll-on that you had to put all the way in the back of the plane. Pack more meds than you think you will need for the days you're traveling in case of any delays and always keep them in the original prescription bottles.

If you are experiencing any pain on the day you're flying, take your meds. This is not the day to be stingy.

Drink lots of water and keep hydrated. Remember, you can't bring liquids through security, so you will need to purchase water after security by your gate. Don't count on getting water on the plane.

The same goes for food. You can bring some dry snacks with you, such as granola bars. Make sure that you eat before you get on the flight and take food with you. Most airlines no longer feed you. These days, it's not uncommon to be delayed on the runway with no access to food and beverages either prior to departure or after landing. Since not eating can trigger migraines, it's always better to have snacks with you.

Leave yourself plenty of extra time to get to the airport, get through security, purchase necessary items, etc. Avoid rushing, that adds stress on your head.

Dress in layers. You can get very warm moving through the airport. The plane can range from super hot to freezing on the same flight. This can affect your head so dress appropriately for hot and cold.

Bring a travel pillow or a wrap/jacket that you can curl up and use as a pillow. This will give your head support, especially for longer flights. Don't count on automatically getting a pillow on planes anymore, they are few and far between, and some airlines charge for them.

Some people can get congested during a flight. Bring a decongestant in case this happens, since congestion/sinus pain can trigger a migraine.

The same goes for ears. Some people's ears can bother them, which can also lead to migraine pain. Pack lots of gum to chew if this occurs.

If it gets bumpy, some people get nauseous. In case, pack an anti-nausea med. It can be prescription or simply an OTC dramamine.

Planes can be very loud. In addition to the plane noise itself, there are screaming kids, loud-talking adults, announcements, etc. I suggest packing ear plugs or headphones to drown out some of the noise. Most airlines no longer provide headphones, or they charge for them. Some airlines still play movies/in-flight entertainment depending on the flight and type of plane. If you have an ipod, mp3 player, or portable dvd player, bring it along. There are many fairly inexpensive noise-reducing headsets available these days - check out Amazon.

Best of luck to you!

Take care,
Liz

Brent Click to EMail BrentClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 00:22 AM (CMT)
4. "RE: I take sudafed BEFORE flight"
Air pressure drops are the only mig trigger I have to deal with. So flying and going over mountian passes are bad news for me. The one air pressure drop I can not do anything about is the barometer. But The Weather Channel has a migraine alert forecast for ten days out. You just enter your zip code.

I have not flown since being DX'd with migs but I know the sudden pressure drop would be very bad. Most comercial jets are pressurized at between 5,000' and 10,000' air pressure. The rub is that change happens within a few minutes after take off. Very little time to equalize.

kathy Click to EMail kathyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 01:01 AM (CMT)
5. "RE: I take sudafed BEFORE flight"
The stress of it gets to me.I hate to fly, and all the packing for me and my son. Then there is the worry about getting a migraine. I take Dramamine so that dries me up and doesn't help.

Gulp!!!
kathy

lnet Click to EMail lnetClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 07:37 AM (CMT)
7. "RE: I take sudafed BEFORE flight"
well Liz said all that I was going to say and probably better put.

I would say this..it's free and if you don't try it you will never know what it could have been. Just baby yourself like others say to try and avoid issues.

I am afraid if you don't do this, you are telling yourself you will never have another vacation in your lifetime because you are scared to 'try'. So I would say...try it! The upside is you could have a great vacation.

lnet

antonella Click to EMail antonellaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 08:10 AM (CMT)
8. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
I don't often fly.
2/3 times a year, but I've never had problems; my head seems to appreciate altitude!

Anna's Mom Click to EMail Anna's MomClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 09:22 AM (CMT)
9. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
I have read that taking tiny sips of water during take off and landing is better than chewing gum.

Cheryl

sailingmuffin Click to EMail sailingmuffinClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 09:42 AM (CMT)
10. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
Hi,

I have flown many times with migraine. It sometimes makes it worse and sometimes it doesn't. I usually chew gum or some mints dring takeoff. If I have a bad migraine, I make sure that my meds are at hand and I can take them if needed, which helps a great deal.

I have chronic daily migraines/new daily persistent headache. Sometimes a change of scene is great. I habve been just as sick abroad as i was at home, but I also found that I had some wonderful experiences.
'
I would suggest talking with your doctor so you make sure you have enough medicine. You might also want to look into trip insurance, in case you can't go due to medical reasons.

I hope that this helps.

Pain free days,
sailingm

moominamy Click to EMail moominamyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 11:25 AM (CMT)
11. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-08 AT 03:29 PM (CMT)

"I have been just as sick abroad as i was at home, but I also found that I had some wonderful experiences."

Just what I was going to say! I refuse to miss out on as much as I can, and I absolutely love to travel.

I often say to myself that I'll feel rubbish if I stay at home OR go out/travel/see people, so I may as well feel rubbish and try and have some fun and build some memories.

My top tips are like others - have your meds to hand, sip water through the flight, try and get an aisle seat in case of nausea, check I have a sick bag as soon as I sit down (I have managed never to vomit on a flight, just like to be reassured!) and have a glass of wine (as alcohol seems to help me in small doses, obviously not for everyone).

Hope you take the opportunity. Plan in some down days for when you get back to 'recover' a bit, and don't be too hard on yourself.

Take care

Amy

beldame Click to EMail beldameClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 03:00 PM (CMT)
12. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-08 AT 03:04 PM (CMT)

I think that everyone is giving great advice, down to the details. I will spare you repetition except for one item which is, be sure NOT to check any prescription medications. Last year, I watched a woman frantically trying to reconnect with her bag which had been misplaced by her airline -- it had medicine for diabetes!

I'm a slightly paranoid traveler and I usually carry my meds in my purse plus some extra in my suitcase (small enough to carry-on) in case one or the other gets stolen or lost...

So, by all means, if you can, take the trip and enjoy. Even during my worst periods of daily headaches I have really enjoyed traveling and flying. (Uh...I admit I am a little strange in that I have always liked to fly. Post 9/11 I find the airport more unpleasant than the plane.) I know we are all different, but at least in my case flying has never aggravated my problems.

On one occasion a year ago, I found the change of pace and scenery of a vacation actually helped to break a particularly nasty cycle of daily migraines. Unfortunately, that doesn't usually happen, but we can hope!

beldame Click to EMail beldameClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 03:08 PM (CMT)
13. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
Apologies for replying to my own post. I wanted to add that once when I did get a bad headache on a plane, a flight attendant was very willing to bring me a cup of ice and napkins so I could improvise an ice pack.

crt Click to EMail crtClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 04:13 PM (CMT)
14. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
Even during my
>worst periods of daily headaches
>I have really enjoyed traveling
>and flying. (Uh...I admit I
>am a little strange in
>that I have always liked
>to fly. Post 9/11
>I find the airport more
>unpleasant than the plane.) I
>know we are all different,
>but at least in my
>case flying has never aggravated
>my problems.

Then I would be more than a little strange. I love flying, although I prefer a small plane at low altitude or a helicopter.

For Migranuers who do have problems on commercial jets, I think it's a combination of stale, pressurized air, noise, crowding, and stress. I would guess that the folks who have trouble in a commercial plane have trouble at high altitude in the mountains too.

Ironic, some folks have to fly because of their jobs and they hate flying. I love flying but I rarely have the money to do so.

Chris

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 05:00 PM (CMT)
15. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
I do so appreciate all your useful hints and comments. It is true I haven't been anywhere for years and now I am scared to travel.
I made the mistake 3 years ago of going to see my friend up north. It is a 4 hour car ride.
We only had one time we could go and I went for it knowing I was "due" for migraines.
It was horrible, we spent the whole time in her house, I felt really guilty because my husband just sat about waiting for me to feel better. He wont go off without me I wish he would.
My problem is, when the migraine comes it last 5/8 days and I seldom get more than 8 days in between, usually more like 5. Couple that with the myofascial, it can be a nightmare.
I never really know when the mig. is coming or how long it will last and the only thing I can do is take Triptans until it goes, but they don't alleviate it and make me very spacey so i am no good for anything until it shifts. I just cant imagine what it would be like to try to endure that on a plane ,or even when I got where i was going. If only I could get a longer break or a medication that actually shifts the damn thing. I have Fibro and IBS too, the wind up makes the IBS flare up. Something has to give I cant go on like this.
Sorry...I do so appreciate your comments and it has given me more confidence.

crt Click to EMail crtClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 05:23 PM (CMT)
16. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
Maybe you can take something that will make you sleep for the duration of the flight?

Chris

thetsarisa Click to EMail thetsarisaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 06:25 PM (CMT)
17. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
I think mainly or also it's the high altitude - despite being in pressurized interior, altitude does the trick on us flying. It's something that can not be controlled, alas.

Risa

Human beings, vegetables, or comic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player.
A. Einstein

lnet Click to EMail lnetClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 07:27 PM (CMT)
18. "I take benadryl,sudafed,tylenol"
I guess I try to prevent stress and pressue so I do take 2 benadryl, 2 tylenol and 2 sudafed.

The benadryl helps relax me...makes me drowsy.
The sudafed helps with the air pressure...it seems to me.
The tylenol...just helps me from getting achy from sitting still too long.

Then I do try and stay hydrated on the trip. If it is hot, I guzzle a gatorade. I allow myself to take it 'easy' on the vacation and I don't over book myself on the 'to do' list.

Eat on a consistent schedule. I try to avoid jet lag by not switching my schedule if possible to the new time. So what if I am 2 hours off everyone else after all?
Of course if it is a big time difference, it is not possible, so be careful.

good luck!...let us know what you decide.

lnet

svirfnebli Click to EMail svirfnebliClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-14-08, 09:23 PM (CMT)
19. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-08 AT 09:25 PM (CMT)

Well the answer is easy...

How do you know unless you try?

Unltimatly do you want to live your life sheltered in house afraid to go anywhere for fear of a headache? No. Take control of it and go somewhere. If you get a headache then you know and you can be prepared for it. Think about it! It's a headache. A really crappy headache, but it's just headache. You have to devalue it and give value to your life.

If you can take triptans, get a prescription for Frova before you go and take one three hours before your flight. Frova has the longest half life of all the triptans (something like 26 hours) so you are covered off the entire duration of your trip. Drink lots of water, I'd say a bottle per hour & a half of flight. Also don't RUSH into your vacation. Traveling is stressful and stress is the #1 of migraines so have a day off when you get there to veg and agjust and do nothing.

I can tell you that personally I dont get migraine while in the air, I usually get one two days later as the stress of travelling wears off my body. However as the relaxation of the trip sets in the frequency of my migraines decreases 50-75%. Trips & Vacations are SOOOO important to us migraineurs.

svirf

thetsarisa Click to EMail thetsarisaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-15-08, 00:36 AM (CMT)
20. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
"" Think about it! It's a headache. A really crappy headache, but it's just headache. You have to devalue it and give value to your life.""

Hmmmm... well...
Eventually even a cancer patient can be loaded into an airplane and not neccessarily die from the experience.
Sure it's advisable to try and overcome all sort of obstacles, but sometimes is just impossible.
It's not that we are cowering in the face of M - we just like to be well prepared. And fear is an emotion a bit beyond reason, that's all.

Risa

Human beings, vegetables, or comic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player.
A. Einstein

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-15-08, 04:12 AM (CMT)
21. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
I appreciate all points of view, but its not just a crappy headache. I deal with them and they would discourage me but not stop me.
I have come to the conclusion that not all migraines are the same for all of the people.
I go out, I do stuff I just try to go when my head is reasonable. And then I don't get long as I have said, but I do it. I went 100 miles for treatment last year. That's a long way on English roads. I was hell and the treatment was a waste of time, and a lot of money. I am not doing that again just to prove I can. I had 3 days of agony after that.
If you only get crappy headaches I am pleased for you, but this pole axes me. And as I have two other pain related conditions and have had 3 kids I know it's not me being weak. This is the worst pain I have ever had to deal with and I dont want to do it on a plane. The embarrassment would be bad enough, I get the runs when I get migraine.....if you fly you know the queues for the loo.....
Sometimes when I am home I have to all but crawl to the loo when my head wont let me walk.
I will do this, but I appreciate positive comments, I dont need a pep talk. No offence meant, but that doesn't work for me. BUT I do appreciate the sentiment and glad it works for you. Thanks.

LizBeth953 Click to EMail LizBeth953Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-15-08, 04:24 PM (CMT)
22. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
Hi Pen,

I completely agree. I would NEVER say that my pain is just a headache. It has consumed my life, as awful as that sounds, but it's the truth after constant pain for 12 years (and I'm only 26). Also, Frova would do zilch for me.

I've traveled both for my job and for pleasure. The worst I have gotten is having severe pain on the plane, then getting to my hotel and start puking when I arrived in the room. That's happened more times than I wish to remember. But, I recovered after a day or two and got to see some beautiful places and amazing things.

I love to travel, but it's not for everybody, and that's okay. At the same time, I don't want you to be terrified to do something that you want to do because of your pain.

Maybe this particular trip isn't the best because it already has set dates and other people are traveling along. This can cause extra stress.

If your schedule is flexible, there are great travel sites these days for last-minute travel. It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on your migraine patterns. If you feel good, you can go on a short trip and get a great deal. See how it goes, put your toes in the water as they say.

Anyway, there is no right or wrong answer. If you want to try traveling, great. If you want to stay at home and be comfy, that is great too.

I also wanted to mention that whoever recommended travel insurance, that was a great suggestion. I have done that for cruises and it is very inexpensive. Luckily, I haven't needed to use it, but it's great to know it's there.

Wishing you the best!

Take care,
Liz

LTAYLOR Click to EMail LTAYLORClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-17-08, 09:30 AM (CMT)
23. "RE: Does flying cause migraines."
LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-08 AT 09:31 AM (CMT)

Like Liz, I travel frequently for both business and pleasure and it does take quite a bit of planning on my part.

I begin days or even up to a week before controlling my hydration, food intake and sleep schedule. I tend to get "stopped up" for a day or two from flying and the water & food choices are very important. I drink tons and tons of water & juice. Although with migraine I suffer as you do.

Either condition is helped by avoiding sugar, white flour products, fatty proteins and of course the usual migraine trigger foods. In addition to all my other meds, I keep immodium (anti-diarreah med) on me at all times, especially if I am traveling to another country.

I find that using a decongestant type cold medicine at bedtime for a few nights or at least the night before helps my body tolerate the pressure changes. I have also used Afrin Nasal Spray 30 minutes before the flight. I don't know why this helps but it does.

If at all possible, I try to tack on a day or two at the beginning and end of the trip to allow for illness. I can always try to get on an earlier flight if need be.

Of course, I never leave home without my meds, pillows, blankies, socks, saltines, ginger ale, water etc....and now I get to pay for the priviledge of flying various airlines and checking a bag filled with all my special items!!

It can be a hassle, but I could not begin to imagine the alternative!! Peace, L

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-17-08, 01:27 PM (CMT)
24. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
I am very appreciative of all of your comments here, thank you.
I wanted to ask if anyone has had a migraine in the air and how they dealt with it.....I cant imagine how awful it would be, being in such agony in front of all those people. The noise, the lights when you just need to be alone in the quiet. Sometimes I just wonder abut gently and you cant do that on a plane. I find it hard to keep still. I have travelled with the IBS and manage past the Fibro, but hanging in the air in the midst of all those people....it would be so embarrassing not to mention awful.
Also again highlighting how different we all are.
I dont have any triggers to avoid. Mine seem to be "internal". I have a Triptan but it can take 5 hours to work, and not to well at that. This is where I am right now, no other help on offer. I wonder if anyone can understand....
I had to give u p work. I have even had to stoop driving. I applaud you people who are so much more courageous and stronger than me.

LTAYLOR Click to EMail LTAYLORClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-18-08, 12:35 PM (CMT)
25. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
There are many who have had to give up work and driving. I gave up work for a while but luckily (??) I was able to return to work though not with my previous employer. I started my own business so that I could accomodate any sick time.

My time off from work did not make much of a difference in the migraines so I knew they were not work/stress induced. It took some time, working with a very good pain management doctor, to find a medication regimen that helped. I also changed many things about my diet (sugar is not my body's friend), added in cayenne, ginger, green tea extracts, various other supplements (like magnesium) and I was able to bring things down to a manageable level.

I won't lie, it has not been easy. I have to give myself a break when I need it and there are days when I am not able to work at all but little by little things have improved. Achieving this has taken years of trial and error but I refuse to give up!!

Discovering and eliminating the sugar/white flour/processed foods was probably one of the biggest factors for my over all health. From regulating my monthly cycle to alleviating all my other body pains (including lessening of the migraines) and anytime I "fall off the wagon" I am amazed at how quickly things can go wrong. I wish it was as simple for others and as simple as it sounds. It is not. I must be disciplined and ever vigilant...two things I am not.

So it is a constant battle but there are days when I actually feel like I am winning!! You must also keep trying and hold on to hope. I did not find my path nor keep to it overnight. I just know that you will find your path as well. You continue to ask questions trying to find solutions and are willing to try alternative therapies. Your day will come and when it does we can all celebrate together in cyberspace!!!!!! Peace, L

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-18-08, 03:32 PM (CMT)
26. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-08 AT 12:11 PM (CMT)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-08 AT 05:02 AM (CMT)

Thanks, I appreciate your positivity and am pleased for your efforts paying off.

My main problem as I said is not having any apparent triggers.

The migraines began as peri menopause did, not one before I turned 40.

They came with my cycle and never seem to have had any other causes. "They" told me they would go with menopause...they havent.....

But they are on some sort of a cycle I cant figure. I have cut out and added all kinds of things the last 16 years but nothing has made a jot of difference.

Not saying there is not anything, just saying neither I nor my family can find anything.

No matter what I do I get a migraine every 5/8 days.

Even stress doesnt seem to bring them on, but can exacerbate them.....I am at a loss as to why and what to do....the neuro told me that I had migraines and get off all medication and live with it....Thanks!!

No cure, and apparently no help. I wish I lived in America, it does seem a bit more aware there....

thetsarisa Click to EMail thetsarisaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-18-08, 04:41 PM (CMT)
27. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
Hi Pen, I love to read what you write but here's the thing - could you please break your posts into smaller paragraphs separated with edit as for most of us it's so hard to read a solid block, even it is separate with comas and not very big?

Thank you in advance!

Risa

A. Einstein

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-19-08, 05:01 AM (CMT)
28. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
I take your point, but when I write it here it is a different format.
I write in short paragraphs and am an English freak so even use semi colons..LOL, but when it comes up on the forum it comes up different.
It does it on other spaces too, and I dont know why.
Maybe I should double space??
Is that what others do if they have the problem?
I will go back and try to change the last posting, maybe in edit it works....worth a try.

thetsarisa Click to EMail thetsarisaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-19-08, 11:51 AM (CMT)
29. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
Oh gosh here I am babbling like an idiot while in the throes of M.
What I meant was use not 'edit' but 'enter' button to separate paragraphs. (not that I think you don't know how to write, I'm sure you do it's me having trouble getting to the point)

Thank you so much for your understanding - indeed it's strange then how your posts come up differently here. I hope you'll figure this one out and your messages will be perfect. I do use double spacing in mine.

And indeed your English is beautiful. Mine is strange at times and jarring, I'm sure, as it's my second language - I'm Polish.

Risa

A. Einstein

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-19-08, 12:13 PM (CMT)
30. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-08 AT 04:49 PM (CMT)

Double spacing doesn't work, makes it way too big an area.....I am open to suggestions...

English is my first language, my only language although I can speak American...ha.

My Polish is...hmm...What Polish...

thetsarisa Click to EMail thetsarisaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-19-08, 01:37 PM (CMT)
31. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
Never mind Polish what matters is how well is your English polished

You're double spacing now, thanks

Risa

A. Einstein

BeccaC Click to EMail BeccaCClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-19-08, 08:18 PM (CMT)
32. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
Pen,
You know I had been thinking about this lately - have you ever thought about making a trip to NYC to be seen by a doctor here? Maybe just once, to develop a new treatment plan?

I know you have NHS there, and it's all free, and here you'd have to pay the doctor - but do you have any idea how much your money is worth in the US right now? A LOT!

I mean, it was just something I was thinking about idly the other day, as I tripped over a huge pile of British tourists on the street. I don't know if this is really feasible, but it might be.

In other news, I have flown all over the place for work (I am one of those who flies constantly and hates it), and I am a terrible traveler - I get jet lag that lasts for days, I can't eat without feeling sick for a week - but I have also never had a migraine on a plane.
I think it might be BECAUSE the air pressure is kept absolutely constant? Or something?

But on those long flights (to Asia, for instance), I tend to medicate myself so that I can sleep (or doze, even in biz class I have trouble sleeping for real) - I have never considered taking a triptan "just in case" but for long flights I take xanax or something to help me sleep and relax.

crt Click to EMail crtClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-21-08, 01:21 PM (CMT)
33. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
Becca,

What kind of work do you do that you get to fly so much? I must be in the wrong field. Here I am hanging around little airports begging for rides.

Of course, as I've said before, flying in a "little airplane" with one or two other people is nothing like flying commercially.

Chris

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-22-08, 04:49 AM (CMT)
34. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
I am keeping all your helpful comments for which I thank you.

But just to say, as I have had 10 days of almost non stop migraine and myofascial.
I chickened out and turned the holiday down.

If I only had a bit more of a break between and a medication that shifts them,
rather than taking the edge of them,
maybe I would be a bit braver....
Alas I am not.

But I thank you....
And when I am more courageous I will taking all this on board (no pun intended)
whimping away now....

charmed quark Click to EMail charmed quarkClick to check IP address of the poster Jul-22-08, 07:25 AM (CMT)
35. "RE: who has had a migraine actually in the air."
Pen - I know what you mean about migraines and traveling. During the worst period of my migraines I would do almost no traveling - even a trip to the grocery store or a restaurant was too much. Motion of any sort, especially in a car, would set off my migraines. And I absolutely HATED to become disabled in public. My migraines were so bad I actually couldn't move and would just have to lie down wherever I was. It was very embarrassing.

I made a few business trips during this period and it was horrible - I became disabled one time on the other side of the continent and had a 3 day migraine. I was so sick I had to lay over in a hotel room for 24 hours and then have a cab pick me up and dump me off at the airport( I had to call the rental car later company that I had abandoned their car at the hotel!).

It got so I wouldn't travel without my wife or some other "helper" along. I think I was getting a little agoraphobic.

Anyway, I got tired of the isolation and the impact on my work and have gradually worked my way up from bottom - plus I got on meds that finally worked. I now travel quite frequently and really enjoy it.

To your specific question:

I don't find that airplane travel per se causes migraines. Dealing with the airlines and the airport certainly DOES!

Altough the last time I flew a long distance it was on British Air and they so coddled me I felt great. Unlike the cattle car atmosphere I usually get with USAir.

I've had several migraines while flying and it is really no worst then on the ground. The noise of the airplane means you can groan quite loudly without anyone hearing you.

Here's what you need in addition to your meds in a carry on: a sleeping mask to cover your eyes, earplugs or sound canceling headphones ( VERY nice if you can afford them) and an inflatable neck pillow - one of those U-shape things you put around your neck. BritishAir supplies all these things in a little kit, BTW.

Bring some liquid with you so you don't have to wait for the flight attendant. I also always carry very strong ginger candies with me for the nausea. Maybe you have a med that works better.

There's always air sickness bags in the pocket if you need them.

With this, you can get as comfortable as possible. You'll be no worst off than on the ground.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.