Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Residual pain"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-28-08, 09:26 AM (CMT)
"Residual pain"
After a migraine my head hurts a lot sometimes for days. It is usually o the right and goes from my neck to my eye/temple.
It isn't a whole migraine, and no nausea etc.
BUT nothing seems to help this pain, not even the Triptans really, but I am not allowed enough to be able to take them for this.
Question is, does anyone relate to this and has anyone found any pain killers that relieve it please. I use Excedrin (UK version of) but they don't do any more than take the edge of it.
My life quality would improve if I had something to help this i between the migraines.
Can anyone advise please.
It hurts like a level 6 migraine and makes me so tired an irritable as well.
Maybe it is part of the migraine, or part of the Fibro, I don't know, but....appreciate any suggestions.
Going to doctor, she wont know, but maybe I can lead her.
thanks a lot.
P

Table of contents

RE: Residual pain, Bahman, Aug-28-08, (1)
RE: Residual pain, pen, Aug-28-08, (2)
RE: Residual pain, Bahman, Aug-28-08, (3)
RE: Residual pain, pen, Aug-28-08, (4)
RE: Residual pain, Bahman, Aug-28-08, (5)
RE: Residual pain, pen, Aug-29-08, (6)
RE: Residual pain, BeccaC, Aug-29-08, (7)
RE: Residual pain, pen, Aug-29-08, (8)
RE: Residual pain, BeccaC, Aug-30-08, (9)
RE: Residual pain, pen, Aug-30-08, (10)
RE: Residual pain, baileyrox, Aug-30-08, (11)
RE: Residual pain, pen, Aug-30-08, (12)
RE: Residual pain, baileyrox, Aug-31-08, (13)
RE: Residual pain, Siren48, Sep-01-08, (14)
RE: Residual pain, pen, Sep-02-08, (15)
RE: Residual pain, estre004, Sep-02-08, (16)
RE: Residual pain, estre004, Sep-02-08, (17)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

Bahman Click to EMail BahmanClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-28-08, 09:54 AM (CMT)
1. "RE: Residual pain"
Just a shot in the dark: How is your relationship with caffeine? Do you think it may help?

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-28-08, 01:04 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Residual pain"
Get caffeine in with the OTC Pain killers.
Seem to get more from this tha straight aspirin.
Otherwise no caffeine really, dont do coffee and hardly any tea.
Any help??

Bahman Click to EMail BahmanClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-28-08, 01:28 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Residual pain"
I am still not sure whether you think that caffeine can help you or not. What I want to suggest is for you to try and have a strong cup of coffee to see if it has any effect on your residual pain.

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-28-08, 03:16 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: Residual pain"
Oh okay I see. Well I actually hate coffee, it gives me awful indigestion. I don't suppose tea would be the same would it?
I get about a cup of coffees worth in the Excedrins. Is there another way other than coffee.
thanks

Bahman Click to EMail BahmanClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-28-08, 03:34 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Residual pain"
Oh yes if you really want to try it, there is caffeine in a pill! Or "no doze". It is for keeping one alert and awake. I am sure you can find it in the UK too.

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-29-08, 03:30 AM (CMT)
6. "RE: Residual pain"
Excuse brevity head really bad, but thank you

BeccaC Click to EMail BeccaCClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-29-08, 02:44 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Residual pain"
I'm a bit confused by this conversation, but I've often had migraines that linger like yours.
When the worst of it is over, there is a sort of residual headache that just hangs there.

And like you, I can't really find anything to take for it. I do take Excedrin, even though the aspirin part of that sometimes kills my stomach.

Sometimes I would keep on taking the prescription (stronger) painkillers, after the migraine proper was gone, to try to fight off the residual headache.

Eventually this led to a really bad cycle where I was taking way too much medication and giving myself terrible medication overuse headaches. I can get those from triptans, from excedrin, or from percocet -- anything really, if I take what amounts to "too much" of it. The main thing (for me, anyway) is not to take something every day.

Sadly, the only way I was able to break that cycle was to tough it out and live with that particular headache, which I believe actually lasted weeks at one point, although it did get marginally better every day, until suddenly one day I no longer felt like killing myself.

I'm not expressing myself very well, I guess -- what I am trying to say is that the linger-y part of a migraine has in the past led me to over-medicate myself, which has then, in turn, led me to get more headaches from taking too much medication.

We lead a charmed life, do we not?

Finally, there is already a good bit of caffeine in excedrin, if the formulation in the UK is the same as in the US. There is, for example, much more caffeine in two tablets than in one cup of coffee or tea.
And whatever you personally decide to do, I suggest that you do NOT add caffeine tablets on top of Excedrin!!! Eek. Caffeine withdrawal headaches are unpleasant, as is climbing the walls.

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-29-08, 04:23 PM (CMT)
8. "RE: Residual pain"
My head is easier now so I will try a better response. Checking the tablets which are Excedrin alike they have a little less caffeine in them but I don't think I could stomach any more.

I try not to take med. for this residual head pain. For ths seam reasons...not wanting to take to omuch medication.....but yesterday I did try as it was so bad.
I have FMS and I think it is from that but as my GP is totally useless I cant be sure.

I wanted to ask her for something more effective for this sort of "nerve" pain and that is why I asked if anyone else had sussed it.

thanks.

BeccaC Click to EMail BeccaCClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-30-08, 06:34 AM (CMT)
9. "RE: Residual pain"
Dear Pen
That is really dreadful, and such a terrible combination (M and FMS), although I guess from reading here not all that uncommon. So awful.

I was reading on another thread that some people have had some success with something that is called "Lyrica" in the US - that is its brand name, it is not available generically, I think it is pretty new, as they are still advertising it on television.

They do specifically mention FMS in the TV spots, I BELIEVE, so if you can get that from your doctor, and now of course I am assuming that you have not already tried it, that it is available in England, and other assumptions - maybe that would be something to try?

I know I have read of your difficulties with your doctor before, and they make my heart hurt for you. And I take back all the things I have ever said about the NHS being so vastly superior to our system of health care, because evidently it is not so much.

Please do feel better soon. Maybe Lyrica, if you have not yet tried it? If you can ask your doctor about this?

All the best, all the love in the world,
becca

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-30-08, 09:29 AM (CMT)
10. "RE: Residual pain"
Thank you Becca, that's sweet of you.
Not so good again today so sorry to be brief.

P

baileyrox Click to EMail baileyroxClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-30-08, 11:25 AM (CMT)
11. "RE: Residual pain"
I go through this too and am right now. I take aleve and that helps some. I can relate to the person that said you just wait for the one day that you actually feel clear headed but it can take days. My neck hurts and my head feels weird and my eyes look sick and I just wake up every day hoping I will be me again. Unfortunately today is not that day yet...........ughhhhh

I feel for you!Let's just look forward to our good days - sooner than later I hope

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-30-08, 02:21 PM (CMT)
12. "RE: Residual pain"
I do try to be positive and look forward.
I do get "better" days, but dont remember the last good one.
Its the not knowing, never being able to plan for anything, not being able to travel.
Many on here seem to be able to, but maybe I am just weak but I cant stand the pain and it never goes away. I hat ewaking up in the mornings.
I hope you have a better one soon my friend.

baileyrox Click to EMail baileyroxClick to check IP address of the poster Aug-31-08, 10:16 AM (CMT)
13. "RE: Residual pain"
Well this is day 6 and I'm still in the weird migraine funk. I'm so sick of this. I really needed to be productive and that's not happening.

Hope you're doing better.

Siren48 Click to EMail Siren48Click to check IP address of the poster Sep-01-08, 08:30 AM (CMT)
14. "RE: Residual pain"
There's a good prescription headache med I take for things like that. Its a butibital compound with tylenol and caffeine. Alot of times its prescribed for bad tension headaches, which is what that lingering dull pain can be more like. I usually just take two and pass out.

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Sep-02-08, 04:48 AM (CMT)
15. "RE: Residual pain"
this is no dull lingering pain, this is a sharp bad pain right in the side of my head and from my neck. I dont think it is the same as you described, but thank you.

estre004 Click to EMail estre004Click to check IP address of the poster Sep-02-08, 12:31 PM (CMT)
16. "RE: Residual pain"
Have you tried amitriptiline? I take it as a preventive for my migraines (I don't think it helps but makes me sleep good) but a co-worker takes is for her fibro. It is usually prescribed for depression bu tis used for a lot of stuff.

estre004 Click to EMail estre004Click to check IP address of the poster Sep-02-08, 12:37 PM (CMT)
17. "RE: Residual pain"
I used to take Relafen which relaxed the muscles in my neck. It didn't do much for pain. What would probably help some is a great massage. I swear if I had someone at my beck and call at my side at all times, I might never have a migraine again. It at least relieves the pain temporarily.I sure hope you are feeling better by the time you read this.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.