Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Compazine Black Box Warning?"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Brenda14 Click to EMail Brenda14Click to check IP address of the poster Dec-29-08, 10:44 PM (CMT)
"Compazine Black Box Warning?"
Does anyone know exactly when the FDA gave Compazine the black box warning?

I suffer from severe prolonged attacks of status migrainosis. My attacks can last for several weeks, or even a few months.

On a few occasions in the recent past, I was able to get a prolonged migraine to end by going to the E.R. At the E.R., they gave me a bag of IV fluids, IV morpine, and IV Compazine.

This combo ended the migraine on three different occasions, although the migraine had already lasted at least 2 weeks. If I hadn't gone to the E.R., the migraine would NOT have ended on its own, though. I know this from experience. In 19 years of severe intermittent migraine, I've tried it all.

On Christmas Eve, I awoke with a severe migraine. On Dec. 26th, my mother took me to the E.R. At the E.R. they gave me IV fluids, 12 mg. morphine IV---but no Compazine. Instead, they gave me Zofran, which didn't work. Then they gave me Reglan. The doctor said that Compazine has a black box warning and they therefore no longer give Compazine.

Once they'd given me the morphine and Reglan, my pain was down from a 10 to about a zero. I was convinced that going to the E.R. had worked. But when I got home and the morphine wore off, I knew that I still had a severe migraine. I slept well, but when I awoke, I still had a severe migraine.

My migraines are so unusual that I really don't know why it didn't work. Perhaps I went too "early on" in the migraine---it had only been 3 days.

On the other hand, perhaps Compazine is something that is necessary to end my migraines. I'm a really unusual case, so my neuro is as puzzled as I am. He's a really good doctor, though. I'm not complaining at all about him.

Eventually, I'll have to go back to the E.R., since that's the only hope I have of getting a migraine to end. I dread going back. They've been nice at this E.R., but I haven't had to go there very often, since I can go for months without a migraine.

Has anyone else found that Compazine has helped to end a prolonged migraine?

I know that the FDA gave Compazine the black box warning due to reports of tardive diskinesia in elderly or psychotic patients. I'm only in my 30s.

I don't want to take something that could be dangerous, but if Compazine really IS the only thing that helps to end my migraine (along with morphine and fluids), I doubt it would hurt to take it a couple of times a year. Anything to get one of these monster migraines to END!

Can Phenergen be given via IV? I know it burns via IM. I do take the Phenergen suppositories for nausea, so perhaps I can ask for Phenergen and see if that works.

Going to the E.R. is a pretty dreadful experience---in terms of time, pain, inconveniencing others, etc.

It was SO frustrating to take a whole day to go to the E.R. and STILL not have this migraine END. And my mother isn't always around to take me there, etc. My mom lives pretty far away, and I don't have anyone else to take me to the E.R.

Thanks for reading this. I'm curious to know if anyone else gets Compazine for their migraines? If the Compazine is what works, but the E.R. doctor doesn't want to give it, then I'm really stuck.

The last time I went to the E.R. was 3 months ago, and I THINK that they gave me Compazine THEN. IV morphine, Compazine, and fluids ENDED a 2-week-long migraine. But I'm really NOT certain that they gave me Compazine, and the hospital doesn't keep records of which meds they gave.

I think that going to the E.R. after "only" 3 days was a mistake---my migraine needs to run its course before ANYTHING has a chance of knocking it out. But I didn't want to suffer over the holidays and my mother was here to take me, so it's understandable that I would want to try the E.R.

Thanks for any advice or input. I'm so sorry that others have to suffer with this rotten affliction.

Best Wishes,
Brenda

Table of contents

Warnings, AZgirl, Dec-30-08, (1)
RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?, estcarpwanderer, Dec-30-08, (2)
RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?, sailingmuffin, Dec-30-08, (3)
RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?, Anna's Mom, Dec-30-08, (4)
RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?, Brent, Dec-31-08, (5)
RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?, mishkyn, Dec-31-08, (6)
Compazine, 30yrsofheadache, Jan-01-09, (7)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

AZgirl Click to EMail AZgirlClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-30-08, 02:06 PM (CMT)
1. "Warnings"
Brenda:

I hope you are feeling better soon. I don't know anything about compazine. I have had phenergan via IV. I take reglan on a daily basis to combat side effects of other meds. It works for me for that purpose.

Good luck, and hope you feel better.

Lynelle

www.freewebs.com/lynelleh

estcarpwanderer Click to EMail estcarpwandererClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-30-08, 02:26 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?"
I just wanted to say that prochlorperazine (Compazine) put my daughter in a wheelchair for 3 months, causing a severe dystonic reaction.

She now carries a card in her wallet so that if she ever has to go to the ER they will hopefully not giver her any, or anything in that family, in an IV.

All drugs can have different effects on different people, and some of them are really bad.

sailingmuffin Click to EMail sailingmuffinClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-30-08, 03:26 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?"
Hi,

I believe that the black box warning on compazine is due to reports of tardive dyskinesia and other side effects.

I know that reglan and phenergan are in the same class as compazine. Phenergan can be given IV. You might want to ask for that next time, or if compazine works for you and you have had it a lot, you can always tell the dr that this is what works for you.

Hope this helps.

pain free days,
sailingm

Anna's Mom Click to EMail Anna's MomClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-30-08, 07:24 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?"
I'm sorry to see you back here, Brenda! I hope this one ends soon!

You should be able to ask for a written report of your E.R. visit which will tell you the meds that were given. You have to submit a request in writing.

Cheryl

Brent Click to EMail BrentClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-31-08, 09:00 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?"
My doc gave me compazine suppositories for the vomiting. They have worked well when I have needed them. I don't consider them a mig med but part of my chemical arsenal to use when the big ones come slamming in.

mishkyn Click to EMail mishkynClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-31-08, 11:11 PM (CMT)
6. "RE: Compazine Black Box Warning?"
Dear Brenda,
Black box warnings are extremely serious. The FDA is so behind on warning us off drugs that cause harm---after all, the drug co' pay them to test their drugs. An absurd setup.

I know 3 people who have gotten TD from one single dose of compazine or phenergan or reglan. All of them can cause TD, and the people I am talking about were young---under 30. There is no cure--they all have serious cases.

I refuse to take any of those for that reason. I stick to vistaril, which seems to work just fine for me. One nurse is so adamant about it that she says merely refusing it is not enough---many drs will give it anyway, especially in the ER.

She suggested saying you are allergic to those 3 to make sure you never get them.

I hope you can find something else that will work for you, Brenda. There are lots of things to try. There is some new one, zofran or something---sorry, can't remember.

But I sure would try every other med.

Mishkyn

30yrsofheadache Click to EMail 30yrsofheadacheClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-01-09, 05:22 PM (CMT)
7. "Compazine"
I have had trouble with IV Compazine making me extremly anxious. I have been getting Phenergan IV about 3-6 times/year.

I have never had a reaction to it, but everyone is different. I also take Phenergan for sleep issues several times/week. Nothing else works for me.
Cindy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.