Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Donating blood?"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Brent Click to EMail BrentClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-30-08, 03:43 PM (CMT)
"Donating blood?"
I am getting ready to donate blood again but they warned me that it could worsen the migraine sysmptoms. I found that odd since I am using Inderal as one of the preventive meds which lowers BP.

I would think losing some blood would have the same effect as Inderal does.

Hs anyone donated blood and had it trigger or worsen a migraine?

I have O neg blood so it is very much in demand. The local blood centers are extremely low now and I decided to get back to it again.

Table of contents

RE: Donating blood?, thetsarisa, Dec-31-08, (1)
RE: Donating blood?, lesherb1, Dec-31-08, (2)
RE: Donating blood?, brendaenglish, Dec-31-08, (3)
RE: Donating blood?, Brent, Dec-31-08, (4)
RE: Donating blood?, pammarie, Jan-03-09, (5)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

thetsarisa Click to EMail thetsarisaClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-31-08, 00:31 AM (CMT)
1. "RE: Donating blood?"
LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-08 AT 00:32 AM (CMT)

Brent, I heard on the contrary - that donating blood might be beneficial for migraines. A few years back somebody sent me a link about this but I can't find it no more.
I guess it's 50-50 chance for going either way.

I hope you won't suffer with M if you donate your blood.

I think it's great of you to donate your blood. Kudos to you!

Risa

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.
Phyllis Diller

lesherb1 Click to EMail lesherb1Click to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-31-08, 09:30 AM (CMT)
2. "RE: Donating blood?"
I've never heard one way or the other about blood donation and migraine. I used to donate blood and then platelets (I'm A- and type A blood is good for platelets).

Since I am on so many medications, I don't donate anymore. I can't imagine it would be good for anyone to receive my medicated blood.

Łeslie

brendaenglish Click to EMail brendaenglishClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-31-08, 09:35 AM (CMT)
3. "RE: Donating blood?"
I had 3 units of my own blood drawn and stored for a surgery I had awhile back. Every time I went to give the blood, I got a HUGE migraine afterward. I think that donating blood is very important and honorable thing to do. I'd say go for it once, and see how you make out. If it doesn't bother you, keep at it.

Brent Click to EMail BrentClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Dec-31-08, 11:06 AM (CMT)
4. "RE: Donating blood?"
I certainly will try it and see what happens. I am allready on my third mig since sat. so what's one more(?). It's surprising they will let me considering the meds I am on.

After thnking about it, a loss of blood could trigger vasoconstriction as the body tries to compensate for it.

Thanks for the info

pammarie Click to EMail pammarieClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Jan-03-09, 05:33 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Donating blood?"
I've donated blood many times as I am O . One time they asked me if I currently had a migraine so I asked why that would matter. They said it could make a migraine worse.

I've donated in the past with migraines where they didn't get worse, but it's probably one of those things where we can all react differently and even each migraine incident could be different.

I hope everything goes well with your donation.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.