Migrainepage Discussion Forum

"Amitriptyline side effects"

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Migraine Discussion (Protected)
Original message

Lenny's Mom Click to EMail Lenny's MomClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-30-09, 11:35 AM (CMT)
"Amitriptyline side effects"
Can anyone give advice on the side effects associated with Amitriptyline? I'm mainly referring to the grogginess I'm experiencing in the mornings.
Does this grogginess side effect eventually fade? I know things could be worse, I mean, my headaches are less frequent now on the Amitriptyline, but I work days & my job requires clear-thinking.
My neurologist wanted me to increase my dose from 10 mg to 20 mgs but if that increases my grogginess ... well, this just ain't gonna work.
Any advice for a newbie?

Table of contents

RE: Amitriptyline side effects, pen, Mar-30-09, (1)
RE: Amitriptyline side effects, estre004, Mar-30-09, (2)
RE: Amitriptyline side effects, theresae, Mar-30-09, (3)
RE: Amitriptyline side effects, tecky, Mar-30-09, (4)
RE: Amitriptyline side effects, tortoisegirl, Mar-30-09, (5)
RE: Amitriptyline side effects, Lenny's Mom, Mar-31-09, (6)
RE: Amitriptyline side effects, mishkyn, Mar-31-09, (7)
RE: Amitriptyline side effects, Beth47, Apr-03-09, (8)
RE: Amitriptyline side effects, LTAYLOR, Apr-03-09, (9)

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

pen Click to EMail penClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-30-09, 12:31 PM (CMT)
1. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
I had to come off it, after 6 weeks of being like a zombie until after 2 in the afternoon.
At first I thought my head was a bit better, but then it levelled off and then the oversleeping seemed to make it worse.....I started to get headaches which I dont usually have.
So I stopped it as it was taking away what little quality of life i had.
my GP told me that if the side effects hadnt gone in the 6 weeks then they weren't going to.
I have since had Noritriptyline as well and had exactly the same problem
Sorry not to be more positive.

estre004 Click to EMail estre004Click to check IP address of the poster Mar-30-09, 12:37 PM (CMT)
2. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
Now I love amitriptyline. I take 25 mg and can take up to 75. I stick to the 25 mg. I take one a few minutes before I want to fall asleep and I sleep like a baby all night and wake up refreshed--no side effects at all. It works better for me than a sleeping pill because I will still wake up if there is a noise or if the house started on fire, etc. I can go right back to sleep if I get woken up also. I don't think it has had any effect on my migraines (as no other preventives have either)but I love the way I can control my sleep. I am never tired anymore. I feel better than when I was young.

theresae Click to EMail theresaeClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-30-09, 01:36 PM (CMT)
3. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
Hi there i am currently taking 75mg of amitriptyline at night, the trick is to take at least 3 hours before you go to bed, so for me i take it just after i have had my evening meal say between 6.pm and 7.pm then when i am ready for bed a couple of hours later(no late tv watching, or partying for me otherwise sure to have a migraine) i am really drowsy and drop off within minutes of my head touching the pillow,

If i take it later say just before getting into bed i CANNOT get up in the morning, not great when you have a school run to do or if i am on an early shift at work, i am really really spaced out and cannot even string a sentence together, so try taking it at different times and you will find one that suits you, side effects for me also have been some hair loss, slight loss of taste, and seeing things out of the corners of my eye that arent actually there, (that took some getting used to)

being on a lower dose took the severity of the migraine away but not the frequency, but since increasing to 75mg 6 weeks ago,

Headaches/migraines have improved so keeping fingers crossed.

hope this helps

theresa x

tecky Click to EMail teckyClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-30-09, 06:26 PM (CMT)
4. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
One of the benefits of amitriptyline is its sleep-inducing effects. That may be why it has some benefits for preventing migraines. My experience is that the sleepiness did not wear off with continued use. I had better luck with nortriptyline for both sleep and migraine prevention, however, I started having severe side effects after being on it for four years. I then had to taper off and quit. Nortriptyline is the only preventive that has ever worked for me.

Becky

tortoisegirl Click to EMail tortoisegirlClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-30-09, 09:31 PM (CMT)
5. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
Some people just cannot get past the grogginess, even with the low doses and taking it early, etc. I had better luck with lower side effects with Nortriptyline, but neither made me sleepy actually. I'm still on Nortriptyine as it was the only med I could tolerate they tried me on. Still not really sure how much it's helping.

Lenny's Mom Click to EMail Lenny's MomClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-31-09, 07:24 AM (CMT)
6. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
Thanks very much for the replies. Last night I took the plunge & stopped the Ami. I never usually have trouble stopping (i.e., don't need to wean off) & I'm only on 10 mg, so I think I'll be okay in that respect.
I've been taking a homeopathic since Mar 17 along a few vitamins. We'll see how this goes. Probably need to watch my diet better, too.

mishkyn Click to EMail mishkynClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Mar-31-09, 11:04 PM (CMT)
7. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
Dear Lenny's Mom,
Welcome to the forum. I am not sure how often you have headaches or how bad they are, but I can tell you that elavil (Amitriptyline) is one of the best anti-depressants to help with pain.

I can tell you that there are not many meds of that type that will help you, if you react like most of us, so when you find one that does help, it is a good idea to do everything you can to try to give your body a chance to take control over the side effects.

If it has been only a short time you are taking it, and it has helped already, you should know that meds of that category can take 6-8 weeks at their theraputic dose (the dose your dr feels will provide the most relief) for you to see their true potential.

I have tested over a hundred meds and given all of them a good chance to work. The side effects will go away, and I had nearly every one any drug had to offer. One of my drs called me "Ms. Side Effect". Ha ha.

But once we learned how much my body responded to side effects, we began to taper each new medicine up much much slower than normal. And the same when I went off the meds--which was just about all of them.

With other drs, I would tell them I would need 2-4 times as long as other patients to adjust to side effects, and that seemed to work well.

Also, you may want to play around with when you take the Ami. If it makes you groggy at work, perhaps you could try taking it at dinner time or even earlier---just to see if you will wake up more refreshed.

I assume by now you know how long it takes for the Ami to knock you out, and see if you can experiment with when to take it.

I cannot urge you enough not to give up on a med that takes a long time to reach full potential and is helping you already. Just go very very slow in tapering up. Perhaps wait until the grogginess goes away to go up, and then go up to 15mg, not 20. Cut a 10mg pill if you have to.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to your progress,
Mishkyn

Beth47 Click to EMail Beth47Click to check IP address of the poster Apr-03-09, 09:45 PM (CMT)
8. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
I love my AMI ! Other then when my monthly cycle is due it is a miracle drug for me.

I wa started out on 50 mg nightly and was like a walking zombie. I went down to 25 mg nightly and I sleep great and it does help with at least 90% of my migraines, however I do now need 9 hrs of sleep a night so that I am not groggy the next day from the ami. I consider it a small price to pay for being almost migrine free.

I hope you too find a way for this to work for you

LTAYLOR Click to EMail LTAYLORClick to view user profileClick to check IP address of the poster Apr-03-09, 10:37 PM (CMT)
9. "RE: Amitriptyline side effects"
I had the same experience as Pen and could not stay on this medication.

I do agree with the others though and would play with the timing of the dosage. It seems my body takes a long time to metabolize certain drugs and it is even slower when I am migraining so I have had to adjust when I take many medications.

However, if you cannot get past the drowsiness perhaps lowering the dosage until your body adjusts would help? Of course, there is the fact that this may not be the drug for you....and if that is the case I hope you find somethine else and quick!!!

Good luck! Peace, L

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Please help this site run smoothly by reading and and following the rules.

DISCLAIMER: This website is intended to provide a forum for the free exchange of information only. The maintainer of this site (Ronda Solberg) in no way sponsors, supports or condones any of the advice given herein, nor supports the use of any medication, supplement, herb, substance or program, except pursuant to a licensed medical practitioner's care. In no way does the maintainer of this site advocate the use of any illegal medication, herb, supplement or other substance or the importation, distribution or sale thereof. Persons who have any question about the legality of any action that they are planning to take are advised to consult an attorney.

The views and opinions of posters to this web site do not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of this site's maintainer. Likewise, the maintainer of this site will not be held responsible for the availability or content of the sites linked to by this site, nor warrants or guarantees the information described or offered at these sites. Furthermore, migrainepage.com nor the maintainer of migrainepage.com does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, medicine, or process mentioned on this web site.

Questions or problems regarding this bulletin board should be directed to Webmaster
©1997-1999 by DCScripts. All rights reserved.